makes for/it a rich dessert

Himanshu Sindhi

Hindi
This question was asked in an exam in India as...

In the following questions, some parts of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is the answer. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (4) i.e. No error.

The substitution of cream (1)/ instead of milk in the recipe (2)/ makes for a rich dessert. (3)/ No error (4)

As per the answer key, the error is in "part 3", I think it should be "makes it a rich dessert" instead of "makes for a rich dessert".
What do you guys say?

• Andygc

British English
    There's nothing wrong with using "for". If I was to think anything wrong, I would criticise "instead of".
    "The substitution of cream for milk in the recipe makes for a rich dessert."

To "make for" is an idiomatic phrasal verb, which in this case means "help to bring about".

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, the real mistake is in either 1 or 2.

The substitution of cream (1)/ instead of for milk in the recipe (2)/ makes for a rich dessert. (3)/ No error (4)

- or -

The substitution of cream (1)/ instead in place of milk in the recipe (2)/ makes for a rich dessert. (3)/ No error (4)

- or -

The substitution use of cream (1)/ instead of milk in the recipe (2)/ makes for a rich dessert. (3)/ No error (4)

< Previous | Next >