Makeup touch

translation lover

Arabic
Hi, can someone please clarify what they mean by "makeup touch" in this sentence?

Models in the women’s LACOSTE L!VE range swing us back to the 60’s through
gentle and flowing designs. Satchels, pouches and wallets are available in 3 pop
colours (red, blue and yellow) to finish off its colour block look, as well as a skin
color to bring that makeup touch to the classic little black dress. Spliter leather
models are carefully designed so that this love affair truly lasts forever.

Source: http://files.prfact.ch/Lacoste/SS12/L!VE/Lacoste_LIVE_SS12_Leather_Goods.pdf

Thank you

• Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    It means that the bit of makeup added was just the right thing to really compliment the little black dress. The makeup was the perfect thing in the perfect amount to make the whole ensemble complete.

translation lover

Arabic
    They said that the bags also come in skin color to bring that makeup touch to the classic little black dress.
    So what does it have to do with the makeup? That's the bit I didn't understand :(

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    I think "makeup" here is used in the sense of "arrangement / composition" and has nothing to do with the "face make-up".

The bag completes the dress, making a nice composition.

I also think it is an unsuccessful use of language, as it clearly hrd to understand and brings up "facial make-up" to the mind of the reader.

DocPenfro

English - British
    I am surmising that the text in your link was originally written in French, and then translated into English. I suspect that the translator came across the phrase "la touche maquillage" and, lacking any colloquial equivalent, translated it word-for-word into English. "That makeup touch" has no real meaning in English; however I have found the French version on a few websites and suspect, from those contexts, that the meaning, in English would be: "the finishing touch (of makeup) that will make your face look its very best". The implication is that these accessories would have the same effect: by itself, the little black dress makes you look wonderful; if you enhance it with the accessories, they give you "that makeup touch" and you will look perfect.

DocPenfro

English - British
    I meant the French version of "makeup touch", not the whole advertisement. They weren't on a Lacoste site, I was just making a guess so I tried a Google search for "touche maquillage" (with quotation marks to make it a whole-phrase search).

No, they mean that the bag is the equivalent of the final touch of makeup. That is how I understand the meaning of it, but it's only my personal interpretation and no guarantees come with it.

< Previous | Next >