making a light repast off specially advertised vegetarian sandwiches

< Previous | Next >

sunnyseason

japanese
Hi,
I would be very grateful if you could help me with this sentence.I have some difficulty understanding this sentence (short story from Saki, "THE UNKINDEST BLOW")

Thumb-nail artists and expert kodak manipulators were retained at extravagant salaries, and special dress reporters were in high demand. An enterprising Paris firm of costume builders presented the defendant Duchess with three special creations, to be worn, marked, learned, and extensively reported at various critical stages of the trial; and as for the cinematograph agents, their industry and persistence was untiring. Films representing the Duke saying good-bye to his favourite canary on the eve of the trial were in readiness weeks before the event was due to take place; other films depicted the Duchess holding imaginary consultations with fictitious lawyers or making a light repast off specially advertised vegetarian sandwiches during a supposed luncheon interval. As far as human foresight and human enterprise could go nothing was lacking to make the trial a success.

Do we use "of" instead of "off" by right?

• london calling

UK English
    No, 'off' is correct. You can dine/lunch on/off something - here making a light repast off is the same as saying lunching off. This of course Edwardian English.;)

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    If you look at the link you provided you will see it mentions 'Edwardian prose' too. The Edwardian era came after the Victorian era in the UK : it refers to the period when Edward VII was king.

< Previous | Next >