making of

< Previous | Next >

av16ar

français (France)
Hello

What's the English for "making of"?

Ok, j'explique, est-ce que l'expression "making of" que l'on emploi en français en cinématographie (attention faut bien le prononcer à la française : "méquingofe") marche aussi en anglais ou alors c'est le genre de piège à éviter comme "en suite" qu'on dit pas en français?

• Amda Zako

France / French
    Hello,
    I'd like to revive this link. "Le making" is a film about a film, a documentary showing how things went on the set, etc. Would we say in English "Hearts of Darkness is the making of Apocalypse Now"?
    Thanks

Nicosito

French /UK English - bilingual
    I'm trying that particular sentence for size and am not so sure what'd sound more natural right now...! It's definitely the right expression in English though:

This wikipedia article says it like this: "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, the Apocalypse Now making-of"

It's all sounding weird. May well be acceptable though.

Nico.

johnblacksox

English - US
    I think you could write/title it this way as well:

Heart of Darkness: The Making of Apocalypse Now.

To answer the general question, yes, it's standard usage in English to use "The Making of Something". I wouldn't even know what else you would call it.

And yes, you can absolutely say that Heart of Darkness is the making of Apocalyse Now.

Nicosito

French /UK English - bilingual
    Yes, that first version sounds both grammatically straightforward and a classical phrase that's actually used.

Speaking of other ways of saying it, the wikipedia article begins thus:

"In cinema, a making-of, also known as behind-the-scenes, is a documentary film that features the production of a film or television program. This is often referred to as the EPK (electronic press kit) video, due to its main usage as a promotional tool, either concurrent with theatrical release or as a bonus feature for the film's DVD."

I think it's probably a good idea to avoid using it as a ready made noun too loosely, as if talking about a shoe or a hat.

Eg: "I filmed some making-ofs" sounds like poo to me, whereas "We shot the making of the film Bathtime for Bonzo" or "I filmed some behind-the-scenes documentaries" sounds less like obscurantist jargon and more like language.

Nico.

johnblacksox

English - US
    Hm, I don't know, "behind the scenes" is slightly different than "making of" to me.

I agree with you that "I filmed some making ofs" sounds a little affected.

Heart of Darkness is a great working example, because from what I understand, the making of Apocalypse Now was as fascinating as the movie itself. It's probably the greatest "making of" of all time.

"behind the scenes" implies outtakes, interviews with the cast, etc. I think of it as subjective interviews or scenes, usually light-hearted or fluff, disjointed stories, etc.

"making of" implies a more serious documentary detailed exactly how a film was made, for good or bad, with more of a chronological timeline.

djudju

French - France
    much later
    could also be in another context : les raisons à l'origine de, l'émergence de, le pourquoi de ...

< Previous | Next >