... making things for people now gets more out of doing things for them.

< Previous | Next >

j29682896

chinese
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure I get the words below right. Please check if I understand it correct, if I'm wrong, please corect me. Thank you.

original text:
Last year China’s output of services, which contributed 46% of GDP, finally eclipsed the output of its industry (44%). An economy based predominantly on making things for people now gets more out of doing things for them.

my understanding:
The revenue of China's service industry was 46% of GDP whereas it accounted for 44% in services. Overall, the former was more contributive than the latter. An economy highly based on manufacturing now gets more from people because it had previously benefited them.

Source:http://www.economist.com/news/finan...icators-are-moving-right-direction-others-are
(It's in the last paragraph)

• macphie

English - Australia
    It means the Chinese economy which is based on making things for people ( manufacturing ships, trucks, cars, shoes, clothing, electrical goods...) is now getting a larger contribution from services industries ( transport, health care, education, hotels, restaurants, banking....) than from its manufacturing industries.

So your last sentence could be reworded as "An economy firmly based on manufacturing now receives a larger contribution from its services industries than from its manufacturing industries".

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I agree with macphie. I think you misunderstood the first sentence of your text.

Last year China's's GDP was 46% from service-related business

which surpassed (eclipsed) the 44% of GDP from industry (manufacturing).

< Previous | Next >