mal barré/mal foutu

jscottseptembre

Banned
American English
Selon le WR, "mal foutu" veut dire "laid, moche" mais je le comprends comme "screwed".

je suis mal barré/mal foutu = je suis dans un sale pétrin? ou je suis moche?

quelle traduction est correcte?

Je vous saurais gré d'éclairer tout ça

merci

• Littlmouse

French
    'mal barré' = in trouble. L'expression peut s'employer à propos d'une personne ou d'une situation.
    Exemple : s'il continue à ne rien faire, il est mal barré pour l'examen.
    Ou : Ma voiture n'est toujours pas réparée, c'est mal barré pour les vacances.

'mal foutu' peut avoir plusieurs significations selon le contexte :
    - sens de 'dodgy, wonky'. Ex : Leur installation électrique est vraiment mal foutue !
    - sens de 'unwell, sick'. Ex : Je me sens mal foutu ce matin, j'ai du attraper la grippe.'

Qu'en pensent les autres ?

XPditif

français (France)
    Hey jss.
    Actually, "mal barré" is always screwed in the meaning of "trouble".

"Mal foutu" is different. Yes it's screwed or fucked up, but it has various extensions:

-ugly, out of shape, "son visage est vraiment mal foutu", "elle est vraiment mal foutue"
    -sick, ill, wounded, bruised "je suis vraiment mal foutu aujourd'hui"
    -poorly conceived "cet appartement est vraiment mal foutu"

And you just can't use "mal barré" in any of these cases.
    ;)

Last edited:

orlando09

English (England)
    I think in your context, your translation of it sounds like it would be right, but I if you say a person is mal foutu it could also mean they were ugly, along with other things like LIttlmouse's suggestions.

By the way, Littlemouse do you know why "barré" is used in that sense? "badly-barred" seems an odd thing to say. Or is it linked to the sense of se barrer - to leave; so it could mean something like "to have got off to a bad start" ?

Viobi

Françoué (standard)
    Mal barré= mal parti
    Mal foutu=mal fait/en mauvais état

"Mal foutu" peut aussi vouloir dire laid (corps mal proportionné).

Ce qui est sûr, c'est que si on est vraiment mal foutu, on est mal barré... :D

Littlmouse

French
    I think in your context, your translation of it sounds like it would be right, but I if you say a person is mal foutu it could also mean they were ugly, along with other things like LIttlmouse's suggestions.

By the way, Littlemouse do you know why "barré" is used in that sense? "badly-barred" seems an odd thing to say. Or is it linked to the sense of se barrer - to leave; so it could mean something like "to have got off to a bad start" ?

Yep, it seems that the idiom comes from the mariners. 'Barrer', or 'tenir la barre', means driving a boat. So, when your boat is caught in a storm, or driven by an incompetent person, it is 'mal barré'.

http://www.expressio.fr/expressions/etre-mal-barre.php

Littlmouse

French
    Interesting, so the verb se barrer would come from the same thing then I suppose, to sail a ship (away)?

Maybe, yes... That's the kind of expression everybody uses without knowing the origin of it.

Also, if you say that someone is 'barré', you'll say the person is mad, crazy. (Ex : il est complètement barré ce type !!). Perhaps because they have been smashed in the head by the boat's 'barre', who knows :D ...