Mal necessário

< Previous | Next >

IsNotMyName

Portuguese
In portuguese, "Mau necessário" is a expression that means a responsability, action or task that you SHOULD do.

Few examples: Job. You need to work, its not a pleasurable thing but you need go to work, that relation between JOB-LIFE turns job a "Mau Necessário".

There is a expression in english that fits with that expression in portuguese?

Last edited:
  • englishmania

Português Europeu
    You mean "um mal necessário".

a necessary evil
    something you do not like doing but which you know must be done, or something you do not like but which you must accept
    I think he regards work as a necessary evil.

cambridge

almufadado

Português de Portugal
    In portuguese, "Mau necessário" is a expression that means a responsability, action or task that you SHOULD do.

For example: Job. You need to work, its not a pleasurable thing but you need go to work, that relation between JOB-LIFE turns job a "Mau Necessário".

Is there an expression in English [S]that fits with that[/S] similar to the expression in portuguese?
    Bem vindo aos fóruns !

A expressão portuguesa mais habitual é "mal necessário".

Agora, a bem dizer, o trabalho ou o emprego em si não são um "mal necessário" ... :)

Um "mal necessário" é :

• uma inevitabilidade -> something that is unavoidable.
    "We need energy. We drill oil. Drilling for oil damages the environment. To drill for oil is a necessary bad. But hey ... That's life !
    • uma consequência negativa de uma acção ->"a wrong doing"

• fazer tudo sem olhar/dar importância às consequencias -> go to any length.
    go to any lengthFig. to do whatever is necessary. (See also go to great lengths (to do something).) I'll go to any length to secure this contract. I want to get a college degree, but I won't go to any length to get one.

• Coisa que se sabe ter consequências más mas que se tem que fazer -> necessary evil

A necessary evil is anything which, despite being considered to have undesirable qualities, is preferable to its absence. There are three distinct classifications of necessary evil, including:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necessary_Evil

• Fazer uma coisa que pode ter consequências boas ou más mas que se tem que fazer -> out of necessity
    Because of necessity, due to need

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >