Malay: Basic words

SeñorDingDong

The United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am a frequent Malaysia Airlines traveller and on my many journeys to the orient and beyond, i have discovered several things about the awesome language of Bahasa Malay. Here are my 3 points & questions...

1)
Firstly the crew's announcements allways begin with: "pwan pwan dan pwan pwan"
I assume it means ladies & gentleman but the 2 "Pwan Pwan"'s sound identical!! Could someone spell check this for me?

2)
Also "Selamat Detang" and "Terima Kasih" are often heard. I assume these translate to Welcome and Thank You.

3)
Is "Terima Kasih" pronounced "two-ma kass-hi" or "terre-ma kasshi"?

This would help me so much when i return to the beautiful land in December
SeñorDingDong

• Isis

Philippines Filipino,English,Spanish,Chinese and Bahasa Melayu
    SeñorDingDong said:
    Hi there,

I am a frequent malaysia airlines traveller and on my many journeys to the orient and beyond, i have discovered several things about the awesome language of bahasa malay. Here are my 3 points & questions...

1)
    Firstly the crew's announcements allways begin with:
    "pwan pwan dan pwan pwan"
    I assume it means ladies & gentleman but the 2 "Pwan Pwan"'s sound identical!! Could someone spell check this for me?

2)
    Also "Selamat Detang" and "Terima Kasih" are often heard. I assume these translate to welcome and hello.
    Selamat Datang is "welcome" and Terima Kasih is "Thank You"

3)
    Is "Terima Kasih" pronounced "two-ma kass-hi" or "terre-ma kasshi"?

It is pronounced "terri-ma ka-ssi

This whould help me so much when i return to the beautifull land in December

SeñorDingDong

Ralf

German
    redwine said:
    Is SALAMAT DATANG a compound word? Could SALAMAT and DATANG stand alone seperately?
    Short answer: "Selamat datang" are actually two words. Both of them can be used separately:
    selamat = save; secure from danger or harm - You will find "selamat" in almost any greeting - examples:
    Selamat pagi = Good morning
    Selamat petang = Good evening
    Selamat malam = Good night
    Selamat jalan = Goodbye (interestingly "jalan" means street)

datang = (verb) to arrive, to come to, to get to
    example: minggu akan datang = next week (literally: the week that will come)
    Isis said:
    ... I assume it means ladies & gentleman but the 2 "Pwan Pwan"'s sound identical!! Could someone spell check this for me?
    It should be "Tuan-tuan dan puan-puan", which in fact is "Ladies and gentlemen" in bahasa Melayu.

tuan = sir, master, gentleman
    puan = lady

It is one oft the pecularities of Malay language to form the plural by simply repeating the word:

Orang = (one) person
    Orang-orang = people

Hope I could help a bit.

Ralf

SeñorDingDong

The United Kingdom
    Thank You So Much!
    A Very Interesting read especially about Bahasa Melau's plural formation.
    Some isolated aboriginal communities in Australia also simply repeat the word to form a plural for example communities north of Cape Tribulation in Queensland. See Wikipedia Search for Wujal_Wujal
    Thank You Again
    Terima Kasih