Malayalam: green-faced characters

< Previous | Next >

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

How do you call these green-faced characters, usually shown in groups and wearing some sort of crinoline, who appear in so many video clips?
(I guess to give some folk ambiance)

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.47.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 12.06.15 PM.png

• MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Thank you, @marrish.
    Yes, it is Malayalam, sorry. Not even Indo-Aryan
    apparently, green is just one of the colors, according to some strict makeup code these dancers have. I guess it is the most cinematographic, that's why it is used in Bollywood songs so much.
    Kathakali - Wikipedia

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, it's the classical dance drama from Kerala. While I can't say how it's supposedly used in BW songs, I suppose the film industry allows some space for showcasing classical arts, especially dance forms like bharatnaaTyam, kathaakalii etc.
    Yes, it is Malayalam, sorry. Not even Indo-Aryan
    To the contrary, it is IIR (IA)-Sanskrit (etymology at least) – see the link you've given.

Last edited:

littlepond

Hindi
    @MonsieurGonzalito, Kathakali is an unusually cerebral art form, and there was an extraordinary Malayalam film two decades back with Kathakali as its backdrop: Vanaprastham (easily available with French subtitles).

By the way, your discussion seems more appropriate to me in the Cultural Cafe forum rather than here. Also, a simple Google Image search could have responded to you about what they are: and calling them as "green-faced characters" is extremely offensive.

< Previous | Next >