(Male) Breast?

Cooby

Mexican Spanish
I'm not a native english speaker and I was wondering if the breast can be used for men too, just as the word chest. I was wondering since I listened to a song that goes like this...

And what difference does it make
If the world is a mess; if the world is a mess?
And on your breast I gently laid
Oh! I’ll tell it to you now

Could it be replaced by chest?

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Cooby. Who wrote this song or poem? You should tell us what you are quoting every time you quote something. Here's an example: I heard this song by Prince called "Purple Rain". Here are some lines from that song: blah blah blah What does this line mean?

I can now tell you that you are right to believe that we usually speak of "chests" instead of "bosoms" or "breasts" when we are talking about men and their chests. However, poetry is quite different. Also, people regularly used the word "breast" when talking about both men and women a couple of hundred years ago.

I imagine that the speaker in your poem or song is a woman who is talking about lying on the breast of a man. This is normal in many poems. When were these lines written?

Welcome to the forum, Cooby.

Last edited:

Cooby

Mexican Spanish
    Oh, thank you so much. It is actually a song by a man. His name is Sufjan Stevens and this is a track from his new EP. Some people say the song talks about God.

owlman5

English-US
    Oh, thank you so much. It is actually a song by a man. His name is Sufjan Stevens and this is a track from his new EP. Some people say the song talks about God.
    Thank you for the context Cooby. What do you think Sufjan is singing about? Does he use any masculine or feminine pronouns in the song? (he,she,him,her)

Cooby

Mexican Spanish
    Nope, he doesn't use any gender pronoun at all. I was hoping that breast could help me to define the gender of the recipient, but I guess it's been left ambiguous for open interpretation on purpose if the word can be used for both male and female.

Thanks once again.

< Previous | Next >