Ashinsky

Mandarin
If a women is sleeping around, we call her "slut"

What's the equivalent word for men?

Don't tell me its "attractive" o_O

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I suspect this is more a cultural question than a language question. Please give us the complete sentence you have in mind.

coiffe

USA
    American English
    There are lots of words, including "whore," but to be honest with you, there is no equivalent, because this is a male-dominated world and societies have mostly chosen to condemn women first and allow men to act in whatever way they wish without condemnation. In western "Christian" cultures, remember it was Eve who sinned first in the Book of Genesis, not Adam.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Promiscuous" can be used for both sexes (perhaps I should say "for all genders of people"). It sounds rather pompous in comparison with the word "slut".

Does the word have to be a noun?

coiffe

USA
    American English
    One word for a man sleeping around (if he's married) is "philanderer." Which actually just means "male lover" in the original Greek. But it means someone who sleeps around and has short, flirtatious, relatively "meaningless" relationships. Maybe he doesn't even have to be married; I'm not sure of that.

Packard

USA, English
    This article makes the point that "slut" is a word used to denigrate women. There are terms that denigrate men, but they take a different turn on the road.

"Weak", "pussy whipped", "cowardly", "momma's boy", etc. all denigrate men. Accusing a man of "sleeping around" does not necessarily make him feel small. It might be a point of braggadocio.

Is there a male equivalent to calling a woman a 'slut'?

What struck me more than this, however, was the constant assertion made by the opposition that the word "slut" has "no male equivalent". That in itself is, they argued, enough to render the term offensive.

lingobingo

English - England
    Once upon a time slut and sloven were the female and male words respectively for a careless, untidy, and er… slovenly person.

Chambers English Dictionary 1872:

SLOVEN A slow, lazy fellow. A man carelessly or dirtily dressed:—fem. SLUT.

SLUT (fem. of SLOVEN.) A dirty, untidy woman, used sometimes in contempt.​

Loob

English UK
    The only vaguely-similar term that occurs to me is "rent boy". But that inescapably involves money, whereas "slut" doesn't.

Packard

USA, English
    But doesn't "player" have an admiring ring to it?
    Yes. That was my point in post#7.

It is like "insulting" an elephant for being "fat" or a giraffe for being "too tall". Or a Sumo wrestler for being "overweight". It does not carry any sense of denigration.

If someone was disappointed with his or her son's behavior, they might say, "my son, the slut" but it be more in mockery than insult.

ewie

English English
    :confused:Player means nothing to me:confused:

Gay men of my acquaintance call their friends who sleep around tarts.

I (personally) call all men who sleep around sluts or whores:)

< Previous | Next >