malinconia

Lusus Naturae

Cantonese
Is malinconia inherited from melancholia given the changes unlikely to occur in borrowing (n<l, a<e, i<a)?
Maninconia is said to be older than malinconia - the l seems to be the result of dissimilation.
The l > n in melancholia > maninconia looks curious - is l > n a pattern from Latin to Italian?

• Perseas

Greek
    I am not aware of the evolution of the word within Italian, but it sounds somewhat strange that "maninconia" is older form than "malinconia", given that the Latin form was "melancholia". I look forward to what experts have to say.

bearded

Italian
    The mali- part derives from a folk etymology: Lat./It. malo, male = bad, badly (cf. French mal). ''Melan/malan'' was perceived/misunderstood as bad/evil.
    As concerns l>n in malinconia, I'm not sure, but there is no usual l>n pattern from Latin to Italian. Maybe just ''euphonic dissimilation''. Real experts will know.
    Etimologia : malinconia

Dymn

In Catalan it's also malenconia. I don't think you can explain that by regular sound changes. With such long words and repetition of the same or similar consonants, metathesis is simply bound to happen...

sotos

Greek
    L>N is rare, but Λευκωσία > Nicosia.

The suffix -nia may come from a folk etymology (or false understanding), from greek words referring to psychic/mental conditions ending in -noia (-νοια < νούς), like homon(o)ia, dichon(o)ia, paran(o)ia etc.

sotos

Greek
    Thanks for one more example. I have reason now to suspect l>n might be as common as n>l (Bononia>Bologna, Hieronymus>Girolamo)
    Possibly, if you assume that the AGr χαύνος Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, Χ χ, , χάρυβδις , χαῦνος has the same root *kel- with Eng hole etc hole | Origin and meaning of hole by Online Etymology Dictionary

I would also consider AGr. αχλύς (fog) and NGr αχνός (steam), but see also AGr άχνη .

< Previous | Next >