man waiting outside was my brother [reduced relative: complex sentence?]

fortifier

Persian
We are taught that a sentence that has relative clauses is a complex sentence, like "The man who was waiting outside was my older brother"; but if we change the sentence this way "The man waiting outside was my older brother" is it still considered a complex sentence?

Thanks in advance

• owlman5

English-US
    "The man waiting outside was my older brother" is it still considered a complex sentence?
    I don't consider this a complex sentence even though the phrase "the man waiting outside" conveys as much information as "the man who was waiting outside." I need to see other conjugated verbs in subordinate clauses before I can consider a sentence to be complex.

Last edited:

fortifier

Persian
    Thank you, Owlman

you point seems reasonable. actually I wanted to know if the teacher asks me to use more complex sentences rather than simple sentences in my writings, can I use these kinds of reduced relative clauses (formed using present and past participles) to reach this goal; are the sentences containing these, in the technical sense of the word, and from a grammatical perspective, considered complex sentences? If there is no other ideas, I assume they are not.

wandle

English - British
    This is a good question and it is a distinct challenge to the terminology of those who believe in the concept of a 'reduced relative clause'. I would be interested to hear what a proponent of that concept would say.

I do not believe in the existence of reduced relative clauses myself. In my view, the expression 'who was waiting outside' is a relative clause and the sentence 'The man who was waiting outside was my older brother' is a complex sentence: whereas the expression 'waiting outside' is a participial phrase and the sentence 'The man waiting outside was my older brother' is a simple sentence.

< Previous | Next >