managed to get by with a few girls all right

AidaGlass

Persian-Iran
Hello.
What does "get by" mean here?

I had a few good friends and – eventually – managed to get by with a few girls all right, but unlike many of my friends I chose not to commit myself until I was much older.

Captain Tom's Life Lessons

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello.
    What does "get by" mean here?

I had a few good friends and – eventually – managed to get by with a few girls all right, but unlike many of my friends I chose not to commit myself until I was much older.

Captain Tom's Life Lessons
    To get by, in this sense, means to manage, to cope, ie. to be borderline happy.

I think it means she felt all right having just a few friends.

abluter

British English
    To "get by" signifies only very modest achievement. I would think that if it referred to sexual relationships, a more enthusiastic phrase would be more appropriate.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think it refers to casual girlfriends. He never had serious girlfriends (or possibly just one) until later in life.

"I had a few good friends (males) and – eventually – managed to get by with a few girls all right, but unlike many of my friends (males) I chose not to commit myself until I was much older."

He doesn't appear to have entertained the possibility of having "friends" who were not male.