mandarins, oranges,tangerines

< Previous | Next >

amurotoru

Chinese
Hi everyone. I am writing about three different species of citrus in China. I refered to some dictionaries and some online materials, and then I found these three words"mandarins, oranges,tangerines" . But I am still not very sure.
So do these three words stand for three three different species of citrus? <-----Out-of-scope question removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->
Thank you.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    They are three different fuits. You may need to refer to the Latin names to make sure you translate the words correctly.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Oranges are the most common citrus fruit. There are smaller ones variously called tangerines, mandarins, clementines, or satsumas; and I don't think there's a clear difference between those. It has never been clear to me.

suzi br

English / England
    Hi everyone. I am writing about three different species of citrus in China. I refered to some dictionaries and some online materials, and then I found these three words"mandarins, oranges,tangerines" . But I am still not very sure.
    So do these three words stand for three three different species of citrus? <-----Out-of-scope question removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->
    Thank you.
    I suppose it depends on the context, if it's just a writing exercise to make you write about three different citrus fruits the word "species" isn't critical. If it's a scientific treatise you need to make sure you know what the relevant "species" are!

amurotoru

Chinese
    They are three different fuits. You may need to refer to the Latin names to make sure you translate the words correctly.
    Thank you

Oranges are the most common citrus fruit. There are smaller ones variously called tangerines, mandarins, clementines, or satsumas; and I don't think there's a clear difference between those. It has never been clear to me.
    Thanks a lot

I suppose it depends on the context, if it's just a writing exercise to make you write about three different citrus fruits the word "species" isn't critical. If it's a scientific treatise you need to make sure you know what the relevant "species" are!
    Got that! I am doing a translation exercise actually~Thanks a lot

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    According to Wiki, mandarins are Citrus reticulata. Oranges (C. x sinensis) are a cross between pomelos and mandarins. Tangerines (C. tangerina or C. reticulata L var.) are also a pomelo/mandarin cross, apparently with more mandarin in their ancestry.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    To add to the confusion, some people use orange as a hypernym or a general term and think of mandarins and tangerines as different kinds of oranges. I agree with etb that the difference between tangerines, mandarins, clementines and satsumas isn't clear. The main thing is that these are easily peeled unlike normal oranges.

amurotoru

Chinese
    To add to the confusion, some people use orange as a hypernym or a general term and think of mandarins and tangerines as different kinds of oranges. I agree with etb that the difference between tangerines, mandarins, clementines and satsumas isn't clear. The main thing is that these are easily peeled unlike normal oranges.
    Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >