mande / cómo (Ecuador)

< Previous | Next >

Ellen89

Sweden, swedish
I was in Ecuador and learned more spanish... now when I am back in Sweden I talk spanish with my latinofriends here! When I said "mande?" they told me that they only use expression in Ecuador and I should say "como?" instead because it only exist in Ecuador, is that true?

• Elektrodós

Español - España
    In Spain most of people don't say that, and I've heard it by an ecuadoran.

Last edited:

Ellen89

Sweden, swedish
    then im going to mexico!! :D because here in sweden i dont have any mexican or ecuadorian friends :( no one here let me say "mande?" :(

Priss

Ecuador/ Spanish
    :) Interesante saber que en México también se dice mande... :) Aunque, en Ecuador más que nada en areas rurales. La gente mayor también lo dice. En la cuidad es mucho menor su uso, aunque si se dice. A mí personalmente no me gusta cómo suena...:eek::D

jannr

English-United States
    Dear Ellen,

"Mande" is so widely used in Mexico that I often feel awkward using Como? Not surprisingly, it is nearly universal in the speech of Mexican American speakers in Texas, where I live.

It's interesting to hear that it is still used in some rural areas in Spain. My hunch was that it was a colonial phenomenon. This information indicates that servants and rural people (maybe others, too) who came over to the New World brought that usage with them. Like some vocabulary and grammatical forms, such as the use of vos in certain regions of Latin America, it hung on in Latin American dialects but died out in Spain. Someone out there must know the facts about mande? (It is spoken, by the way with the same intonation as como?, except when it has the more literal meaning of A sus ordenes when someone calls your name or addresses you in a service encounter.)

There could be some interesting social class differences in usage in the New World, too.

< Previous | Next >