Mangiamo solo frutti rossi allora

L.M.M.

Italian
Hi there!
I feel I make a big mistake, I wish you'll say that I didn't.
Is it possible to use "though" at the end of a sentence with the mining of "then"?
For example:
A: "I want to eat just red fruits"
B: "Let's eat just red fruits though!"
Ovvero
A: "Voglio mangiare solo frutti rossi"
B: "Mangiamo solo frutti rossi allora!"

It sounds correct to me, but I fear this feeling comes from a misuse of English language that has never been corrected...

Thank you very much to whoever will like to answer...
L.

• Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    Ciao, non sono un madrelingua ma a me è sempre stato insegnato che though ha più valore di comunque che allora.

Nel tuo esempio opterei per then.

A: "I just want to eat red fruits"
    B: "Let's just eat red fruits then!"
    Ovvero
    A: "Voglio mangiare solo frutti rossi"
    B: "Mangiamo solo frutti rossi allora!"

Attendi conferme

Cross posted with Paul

rrose17

Canada, English
    I think it should be "red fruit" without "s". Small nuance perhaps but fruit is definitely more used than fruits.
    I only want to eat red fruit.
    Let's eat just red fruit, then.

Red fruits are varieties of fruit that are red only.
    Red fruit are fruit that may exist in various colours but you're referring to the red ones.

boysenberryjam

English - North American
    Huh, I've always thought of frutti rossi (o frutti del bosco) as berries: fragole, mirtilli, more, lamponi, ecc. Have I been wrong all this time? Or is "red fruit" a commonly-understood term elsewhere in the world?
    Anyways, as per the original question, I certainly agree with then and not though as a translation for allora.
    P.S. I swear any resemblance to actual usernames, living or dead, is purely coincidental. :D

Last edited:

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Huh, I've always thought of frutti rossi (o frutti del bosco) as berries: fragole, mirtilli, more, lamponi, ecc. Have I been wrong all this time? Or is "red fruit" a commonly-understood term elsewhere in the world?
    We’re very literal in Australia. ‘Red fruits’ are red. They can include berries such as strawberries and raspberries, but not blueberries or blackberries. Red apples, pomegranates, red grapes and watermelon are some other examples of red fruits.

Last edited:

curiosone

AE - hillbilly ;)
    'Frutti di bosco' translates to 'berries' in English. All berries aren't red, which is why we don't call them 'red fruit'.

One time, researching 'frutti rossi' in order to best translate the term, I came across the term 'soft fruits' which includes berries (red or not), but also other soft fruits like figs. I understand 'soft fruits' refers to the care needed in handling (or packaging) them.

So, while I have no difficulty translating 'frutti di bosco', I'm still uncertain how best to translate 'frutti rossi' (or, for that matter, 'soft fruit'). In the sector I was translating 'frutti rossi' for, I was told 'soft fruit' was the term they'd seen used. o_O:confused:

boysenberryjam

English - North American
    Non avevo mai sentito "soft fruits" come espressione - a me verrebbe in mente anche frutta come l'albicocca e la pesca oltre ai frutti rossi! A quanto pare però è una differenza AE/BE. Il Collins Online Dictionary nella definizione riporta il seguente:

Soft fruits are small fruits with soft skins, such as strawberries and currants.
    [British]
    REGIONAL NOTE:
    in AM, use berries

curiosone

AE - hillbilly ;)
    Boysenberryjam, thanks for your imput. I never said I thought soft fruit meant only berries (so I'm not sure where you get the idea that there be any AE/BE difference); I just noted that's how it had been translated (by others) in an international commercial field. On the contrary, I agree with you that soft fruit, while including berries, refers to all fruits that have soft skins, and therefore require extra care in shipment (apricots do come to mind, as well as raspberries and figs).

So, while I have no difficulty translating 'frutti rossi' as 'berries', I still have doubts about how best to translate 'soft fruits'. My attempt: 'frutti delicati (e morbidi), che chiedono molta attenzione nel trasporto." I can't think of a single word in Italian for this (maybe a native speaker can help).

< Previous | Next >