Manguitos

Lexikon

Spanish & English
Hola

Necesito traducir la palabra manguitos, los flotadores que se ponen los niños alrededor de los brazos cuando no saben nadar.
No estoy seguro si se puede usar "rubber ring", o si esta expresión sólo vale para un flotador de cintura como en España.

Muchas gracias

• Lis48

English - British
    We would say water wings or arm bands in England. A rubber ring would be larger and round the whole body. I´ve heard floaters or floaties as well but not as commonly in BE.

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    So, just to summarize:

1) Around children's arms we have:
    - ARMBANDS (BE)
    - FLOATIES (AE??)
    - SWIMMIES (AE??)

2) And around children's waist:
    - RUBBER RING (everywhere)
    - SWIM RING (everywhere)

Any comments??

greenie

English, USA
    Here, at least in Washington State, we call them floaties. They are very cute! I wouldn't call them rubber rings. To me that sounds like a form of birth control.

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Here, at least in Washington State, we call them floaties. They are very cute! I wouldn't call them rubber rings. To me that sounds like a form of birth control.
    :D :D

Ok, so in AE do you think a "floatie" can be both a swim ring and a couple of armbands??

greenie

English, USA
    I'm not sure what a swim ring is. Maybe what we have always called inner tubes regardless of whether it actually came from a tire or not. To me floaties go on your arms and inner tubes are for floating on.

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Hi Rocstar,

thanks for your help, but your link is an Amazon page with pictures and names of floating products: is that common American English?

On the other hand, as far as I can see on that page (when you scroll down a little bit) "arm floats" are also called "armbands" and "swimmies", and according to Greenie they are usually called "floaties" (at least in Washington State).

I'm just trying to clarify what people call them in different places. :)

greenie

English, USA
    I forgot about water wings. I've heard that a lot too. We never used any of that stuff to learn how to swim. My dad just threw us in and hoped we'd float.