manifestino

Lorena1970

Banned
Italy, Italiano
Hi all,

How do you call those A4 / A3 (max) format "manifestini" (small billboards) that are usually stuck to pub's walls to advertise about art events/theatre shows/concerts and so on...? In Italy it's very common to stick them to bar's glass doors, for instance.
I had a look on an old thread "manifesto pubblicitario" but couldn't find a proper answer. Billboard refers to something large and placard or adverts doesn't seem to suit my case.

• Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    OK, thank you Charles! I thought a different terms was necessary. It's almost like the Italain, with the difference that we call them "manifestini" if they are smaller than 50x70cm, otherwise we call them posters.

spensierata

English, United States
    I agree with Charles, poster is the most widely used term for advertising a band or theater production. But you could also use "notice" or "announcement" in certain contexts. "I saw the announcement for the job opening in the window of the restaurant."

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Thank you. I understand, but I need to refer to the poster as "an object" instead of to its contents. For instance: if I want to give directions to a graphic designer, I would use "The poster must result striking and colourful" and not "The announcement must result striking and colourful" ...or am I being wrong...?

spensierata

English, United States
    You're right, I think poster is the best word for you (although "flyer" is very similar, too).

A proposito,
    "The poster must result striking and colourful"
    The poster must be striking and colorful.
    or
    The design must result in a striking and colorful poster.

"Result" as a verb is a little awkward in this case.