mantecare/mantecato

elfa

English
Il fatto e' che in Italia il gelato lo mantechiamo a mano, cioe' con la paletta, anche subito prima di servirlo (almeno, nelle gelaterie serie). Non direi che in questo caso "freezing" possa andare bene

Capito. Allora "churning" anche in ambito professionale potrebbe andare forse. Sentiamo altri contributi...

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    Reviving this old thread not to try to settle the vexed question of how to mantecare a risotto in English, but to ask if anyone has a clue as to what the word means when applied to a person. We're talking about a governess in the countryside around Parma in the early 20th century: Era una francese anziana e simpatica, piena de erre, di gentilezza, di pardon; era mantecata, spruzzolata di patchouli.....

I honestly haven't a clue: she could be heavily made-up (maybe she spread it on like butter?) or fond of greasy moisturizers for her wrinkles, or have manners that were smooth as butter. I'm inclined to think it's something to do with cosmetics, given the reference to perfume right after. If I had to guess, I'd go with the second (she had a well-oiled face), but if anyone can save me from guessing, that would be great!

alfaalfa

italiano
    Ciao,
    mantèca in Vocabolario - Treccani
    "1. Nome dato in passato (oggi raram.) a sostanze grasse e profumate (crema, pomata) con le quali si ungevano i capelli o la pelle". :tick:
    La mantèca, da cui mantecare, era una pasta grassa e profumata con cui i parrucchieri ungevano i capelli, “antenata” della brillantina:
    I barbieri dell’Ottocento sfoltivano i capelli a rasoio […] ma nessuno allora ricorreva al phon e tutto veniva ricoperto con una specie di manteca, che poi, raffinata, prese il nome di brillantina. (da Franco Bompieri Antica Barbieria Colla, Feltrinelli, 1980)...

www.laputa.it/lexicon/mantecare/ © Lapůta

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Thank you! I looked up "mantecato" in Treccani, but didn't even consider that "manteca" might be an Italian noun (and mean something different from what it means in Spanish, no less.) It sounds as if, like "pomade," it's at least slightly more likely to refer to a product for the hair, and a third party would be more likely to notice that Madame was "pomaded" if it were in her hair rather than on her face, so I'll work with that.