manual adjustment

Thomas1

Senior Member
polszczyzna warszawska
Does the above mentioned phrase mean:
the adjustment of the manual
hand operated adjustment
both
none?

I know that the question seems silly but I'm starting to have doubts after hearing many of my friends who chose the 2nd option, I'm for the 1st one.

Thanks in adnvance for help,
Thomas
 
  • JLanguage

    Senior Member
    USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
    Thomas1 said:
    Does the above mentioned phrase mean:
    the adjustment of the manual
    hand operated adjustment
    both
    none?

    I know that the question seems silly but I'm starting to have doubts after hearing many of my friends who chose the 2nd option, I'm for the 1st one.

    Thanks in adnvance for help,
    Thomas
    It could be mean both, depends on the context.
     

    Thomas1

    Senior Member
    polszczyzna warszawska
    I meant I'm for the 2nd :eek:
    Could you give me an example of the first meaning, please???
     

    nycphotography

    Senior Member
    American English
    It most likely means the (edited out: former: Oops!) Latter:

    Having to intervene and make a manual adjustment in an otherwise automatic and/or self correcting process.

    The TV antenna usually moves automatcially, I guess I'm going to have to adjust it manually this time.

    IE: Make a manual adjustment.
     

    panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If you are one of the very small minority of people who know about pipe organs, then manual adjustment means adjusting the manual.

    For the rest of the world, it means adjusting (something) by hand.
     

    Thomas1

    Senior Member
    polszczyzna warszawska
    panjandrum said:
    If you are one of the very small minority of people who know about pipe organs, then manual adjustment means adjusting the manual.

    For the rest of the world, it means adjusting (something) by hand.
    I am not:eek: . Is it the only context when manual adjustment means adjusting the manual???
    BTW: what does the manual mean in this context (I hope nothing bad will happen if I ask about that in this thread:) )
     

    panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thomas1,
    I expect that further explanation of "manual" is entirely on topic, so there should be no bad things happening to either of us:)
    The keyboards for a pipe organ are called manuals. CLICK HERE

    The other common meaning of manual (noun) is an instruction manual or operating manual. These are published and put on shelves. Sometimes they are updated. Very occasionally they are read:) But I don't think they are adjusted.
     

    cuchuflete

    Senior Member
    EEUU-inglés
    Just to be sure we've got this right, when a spineless organ player reworks an instructional text, that is called editing, and not a manual adjustment. Example: When translator Gregory Rabassa tinkered with text for Julio Cortázar's Libro de Manuel and converted it to A Manual for Manuel, this was not a manual adjustment.
     

    panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    GenJen54 said:
    From a holistic medical perspective, those who practice chiropractic manipulate the spine via manual adjustments. On the other hand, some practitioners use other tools and/or types of rehabilitative machines to perform the adjustments.
    :eek: At the same time as they are manually manipulating the spine with the first hand:D
    I guess they can charge twice the price then:)
     

    cuchuflete

    Senior Member
    EEUU-inglés
    Panj has, clearly, first hand knowledge of the topic, thus manipulates rehabilitative machines with a keyboard. Holistic medicine often suggests organic nutrition, which seems to be the nexus.
     

    Thomas1

    Senior Member
    polszczyzna warszawska
    One more question, just to make sure since there's sth that bothers me, can manual adjustment mean the adjustment of the manual, when manual means a small handbook attached to various kinds of stuff you buy?
     

    cuchuflete

    Senior Member
    EEUU-inglés
    Hi Thomas,

    It is extremely unlikely that the term would be used with that meaning. People do strange things with language, so I won't say it's absolutely impossible, but it would be a very strange use of the term.

    regards,
    Cuchu


    Thomas1 said:
    One more question, just to make sure since there's sth that bothers me, can manual adjustment mean the adjustment of the manual, when manual means a small handbook attached to various kinds of stuff you buy?
     

    Thomas1

    Senior Member
    polszczyzna warszawska
    cuchuflete said:
    Hi Thomas,

    It is extremely unlikely that the term would be used with that meaning. People do strange things with language, so I won't say it's absolutely impossible, but it would be a very strange use of the term.

    regards,
    Cuchu
    Thus, speaking in terms of correct English it is not a propper usage, is it?
     

    cuchuflete

    Senior Member
    EEUU-inglés
    I don't think it would be grammatically incorrect, but that's not important. It would be totally contrary to idiomatic use of the words...and thus would sound awkward and perhaps confusing to a listener. A sentence may conform with all grammatical rules, and still impede communication.
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top