manual

< Previous | Next >

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
Hi everyone! I hope your New Year has started out well.

I am proofreading several training manuals. In the preface of the one I am working on now I have a sentence that says "Part I of this manual is XXXX Initial Training Course and should be done first before proceeding to the recurrent training course which is presented in Part II of this manual."

The next paragraph starts out "Part II of this manual is XXXX Recurrent Training Course..."

Then the third paragraph states that "This manual is part of a seven-manual set..." after which it proceeds to name the seven manuals. Each title says XXXX Initial and Recurrent Training as if it were one book.

The problem is that the author has told me that each part (Part I and Part II) of the manuals will be published as a separate book, not two sections of the same book. Can a manual be printed as two books and each book be considered part of the same manual? I find that when I read the above example sentences, I expect to find both parts in the same book.

I hope my question is making sense.

Thank you.

• teksch

English - American
    I don't see a problem with a training manual being published in separate books. I have worked on manuals where office procedures were in one volume and methods of dealing with clients were in a separate volume. There should be some sort of note that each one is published as a separate unit.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I agree with the thrust of teksch's post. I've written multi-volume user manuals for some fairly complex software. The entire work had a single title, and each of the individual tomes (yes, they were thick) had a volume number.

So long as the title for the entire work is mentioned with an explanation that it has parts, and if the initial naming of each part describes it as a specific part of the larger work, I don't see a problem.

Happy New Year, gotita de l. !

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    Thank you both so much. I guess I have never seen a manual published in volumns. I will add some explanation to his text to make it clear that the parts are in separate volumns.

Thanks again!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think it would be helpful, if possible, to place "This manual is part of a seven-manual set..." right at the beginning rather than in para #3. It's a big important piece of information.

So you might begin with:
    "This manual is Part I of a seven-manual set. Part I is XXXX Initial Training Course and should be done first before proceeding to the recurrent training course which is presented in Part II."

It may not be possible for you to change things to this extent :)

< Previous | Next >