Manufacturing Footprint

< Previous | Next >

oprah

English/US
First, sorry about the highlighting...can't figure out how to get rid of that here.

I'm guessing what manufacturing footprint is a manufacturing base. Can someone confirm if that's right?

Johnston wants a balanced manufacturing footprint with revenues divided roughly equally between Asia, Europe and North America. But Asia will be the largest of the three by 2008.

• Ed the Editor

oprah said:
    First, sorry about the highlighting...can't figure out how to get rid of that here.

I'm guessing what manufacturing footprint is a manufacturing base. Can someone confirm if that's right?

Johnston wants a balanced manufacturing footprint with revenues divided roughly equally between Asia, Europe and North America. But Asia will be the largest of the three by 2008.
    Oprah,

From the Web pages I found on Google, "manufacturing footprint" clearly refers to how many countries or areas a company has manufacturing facilities in. The more countries/areas, the bigger the "manufacturing footprint."

I think "manufacturing base" refers more to individual places when manufacturing is based, or to the largest installations, rather than to a worldwide view of where all manufacturing facilities are located, as "manufacturing footprint" does. I'm not an economist or industrialist, so I'm not totally sure of that, but that's the impression that I get from looking at Web pages that use that phrase.

I did see the phrase "global manufacturing base," which seems like it might mean much the same thing as "manufacturing footprint."

I hope this is useful.

oprah

English/US
    Hi Ed the Editor,

Yes, the information that you provided was extremely helpful. Thanks a lot!

< Previous | Next >