Many crops have died since it hasn't rained for months.

theol

Japanese
I want to describe a situation which the crops are dead because of no rain there.

A. Many crops have died since it hasn't rained for months.

B. Many crops have died since there is no rain.

Which one is better or are there any better ways to say it?

• EStjarn

Spanish
    The problem with using "since" here is that it leads the reader to think for a moment that you're talking about time: Many crops have died since June, when we began testing a new fertilizer.

"Because" makes it immediately clear that the connection is logical, not temporal.

If you have to use "since," I suggest starting the sentence with it: Since it hasn't rained for months, many crops have died.

theol

Japanese
    The problem with using "since" here is that it leads the reader to think for a moment that you're talking about time: Many crops have died since June, when we began testing a new fertilizer.

"Because" makes it immediately clear that the connection is logical, not temporal.

If you have to use "since," I suggest starting the sentence with it: Since it hasn't rained for months, many crops have died.
    how about this one
    Many crops are dying since there is no rain.

Linkway

British English
    I would use "crops failed" not "crops died". All crops "die" - before, during or after harvest!

Similarly, "crops have failed" not "crops have died".

Google Ngram shows that "crops failed" is used far more often than "crops died" and "crops perished".

< Previous | Next >