Many languages: Bohemian Rhapsody

alc112

Argentina Spanish
Hi!! How are you?
In this queen song, Bohemian Rhapsody, there are some italian words (I think they are Italian) that I couldn't find in the dictionary:

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango.
Thunderbolt and light'ning, very, very fright'ning me.
(Galileo.) Galileo. (Galileo.) Galileo, Galileo figaro
(...).
Bismillah! No, we will not let you go.

Wouold someone translate that words so that I can transalete this part of the song?

Thank you very much!

• Kaia

Argentina -Spanish
    Ciao Alc!

Bismillah is not Italian but Arabic. This is the meaning >
    The common translation for bismillah is "In the name of Allah", which is actually an idiom, an expression that really does not make much sense on a literal word-by-word basis.

Scaramouche is the title of a book, written by Rafael Sabatini in 1921. There's also a film based on this book.

Fandango: From the portuguese "fado" which means "dance" and "typical song" and from the Latin "fatus" which means "fate". It's a typical Spanish musical form (Flamenco).

I'll try to find the other words.

Marcone

USA English
    alc112 said:
    Hi!! How are you?
    In this queen song, Bohemian Rhapsody, there are some italian words (I think they are Italian) that I couldn't find in the dictionary:

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
    Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango.
    Thunderbolt and light'ning, very, very fright'ning me.
    (Galileo.) Galileo. (Galileo.) Galileo, Galileo figaro
    (...)
    Bismillah! No, we will not let you go.

Wouold someone translate that words so that I can transalete this part of the song?

Thank you very much!
    This was an attempt by Queen to achieve an operatic sound, so they inserted some words that sounded foreign. Figaro is the central character in Rossini's opera Il Barbiere di Seviglia. Silhouetto is just silhouette (a dark shape seen against a bright background) with an "o" added to make it sound Italian. Don't try to make much sense of the lyrics. It is a fun, whimsical song. It is not supposed to make sense. Wikipedia has a very good article on this recording.

< Previous | Next >