many of which

< Previous | Next >

nima_persian

Banned
persian(فارسی)
Original: -ant also occurs in adjectives, many of which are formed from stems which are not current words in English.

Would you please tell me if I have properly rephrased the above sentence? and what does many refer to?

-ant also occurs in adjectives many of which are formed from stems which are not current words in English.

In addition, would you possibly write the bold part in another form?

-ant also occurs in adjectives, many of which are formed from stems which are not current words in English.

Thanks in advance

• owlman5

English-US
    As far as I can tell, the only change you made to the original sentence was to remove the comma after "adjectives". I think the sentence is better if you leave the comma in the sentence.

It's pretty easy to rewrite the sentence by breaking it into two sentences: The ending '-ant' also occurs in adjectives. Many of them are formed from stems which are not current words in English.

nima_persian

Banned
    persian(فارسی)
    I really do appreciate your replies.

And, could you tell me if we can rewrite the bold part by the word whose?

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome.:)

"Whose" is possible, but it's no better than the original version because we need to use "many": ...occurs in adjectives, many of whose stems are derived from words no longer current in English. This version is just as complicated as the original was.

< Previous | Next >