map case

Norma E.

Croatian
Hello,

I was wondering can a 'map case' be something other than a case for maps? I'm translating technical data for a fire alarm control board...which is protected only by a rack and a map case...
Earlier in the datasheet 'control maps' are mentioned but no other context.

Help. Please. Anyone. Thanks a lot!

• timpeac

English (England)
    Hello,

I was wondering can a 'map case' be something other than a case for maps? I'm translating technical data for a fire alarm control board...which is protected only by a rack and a map case...
    Earlier in the datasheet 'control maps' are mentioned but no other context.

Help. Please. Anyone. Thanks a lot!
    I haven't heard of such a phrase before - perhaps it is a term only used in strict technical contexts? Actually, even "rack" in this context sounds strange - do you know if it was written by a native speaker or is perhaps itself a translation from another language?

Waylink

English (British)
    In the context of unattended computer and electronic control equipment, the term "rack" is often used. It refers to the steel frameworks which physically support the equipment. This is usually in control rooms, data centres, network routing centres etc and does NOT apply to computer equipment in the home or on the office desk.

Regarding the "map case", it sounds like the map of the building that is typically situated with the fire alarm control panel so that it is to hand for the routine maintenance and testing personnel and for the fire and rescue personnel who respond to the firm alarm in emergencies.

Slightly puzzling is the notion that the "map case" protects the fire alarm control board; the "map case" is a case to protect the map / layout diagram. The map case is typically transparent plastic material with the map / diagram on paper / card inside.

Norma E.

Croatian
    Thank you both for your help. Timpeac, it is a translation from another language - from German...And Waylink, I agree that it is strange that the map case should protect the FACB. Maybe it's a bad translation to English...But the thing is a case with maps, nothing else. Thanks again! ;)

< Previous | Next >