Marcin

Brightspace

England (English)
Hallo. I'd be really thankful if someone could tell me how the Polish name Marcin is pronounced. My guess is Markahn, but as I don't know any Polish, I have no way of knowing. So, any help appreciated!
Thanks!

• Jana337

čeština
    Hi and welcome! :)

I am not a native but I would read it Mahrtsin. Markahn is definitely wide of the mark. Our Polish friends will tell you more. :)

Jana

Jana337

čeština
    Well, I guess it could depend on whether it is a normal c or a c with a dot above. A tricky letter... :)

Jana

Brightspace

England (English)
    Trust me to find the name with the tricky letter. :eek: It seems to be written as a normal "c" without dots or anything. Does that help? Thanks for trying to help me out with this! :)

cajzl

Czech
    There is no c with a dot in Polish (only ż).

The Polish cz (czytam - hard ch) and ć (Marcin - soft ch) are different (already discussed in another thread).

There are three different consonants graphically based on the Latin c:

c, cz, ć
    cy, czy, ci

ć + i -> ci

Brightspace

England (English)
    Cheers. So Marcin has the soft c "ch" sound. Is it a long A "ahr" sound, like Mahrchin, or something different? :)

cajzl

Czech
    The vowel a is short like in English but.
    The following r is pronounced! (unlike the British /ma:tin/)

Toscana27

poland, polish
    Brian P said:
    I studied Polish for a short while many years ago and I think that c is pronounced "ts" unless it comes before i in which case it is pronounced "ch" so Marcin would be pronounced "Marchin"

I agree with Brian, you can trust me I'm fluent in polish it's hard to write how to sound it out but I guess Marcheen would be the closest I can come up with!

Brightspace

England (English)
    Whee! Thanks everyone!:D Marcheen it is. Thanks for taking the time to help me out on this, much appreciated. Mwah!x

< Previous | Next >