marginally grateful sock-dropping families

formichina

ITALIAN
Hi!
What does it mean sock-dropping families in this sentence?
"It seems incredible that some twenty years' worth of magazines could glorify the routine maintenance of marginally grateful sock-dropping families."

• Murphy

English, UK
    Hi formichina and welcome:)

This sentence doesn't mean a lot to me taken out of context. In order to help you find anything more than a literal meaning, we will need a bit more information. Can you tell us where it came from and what the text was talking about?

Thanks.

formichina

ITALIAN
    Hi Murphy!
    Ok, I'm reading High Tide in Tucson by Barbara Kingsolver. That sentence is from "The houshold zen" chapter that talks about how people should behave as regards houseworks and how the life of a man and a woman changes after they divorce.
    It's not so easy to explain... I hope you can understand what I mean:)
    Thank you!

Murphy

English, UK
    Ho googlato un po' :D L'unica cosa che ho trovato che forse ti può aiutare è l'espressione "sock drop", che si riferisce all'usanza di donare calzini e altri articolo intimi ai senza tetto e ad altre persone bisognose. Forse nel tuo testo si parla di famiglie che spesso fanno delle donazioni a società di beneficienza......?

Se non ti sembra possibile, ti suggerisco di postare la domanda nel forum solo inglese......forse lì troverai qualcuno che conosce questo termine.
    :)

pulcetta

Italian - English
    I know what you mean, maybe she's talking about her experiment (mentioned on page 60) "my daughter's ballet tights will shrink and..."
    she had dropped her daughter's socks so she calls her family like a "sock-dropping family".
    Spero ti sia ancora utile!

< Previous | Next >