Maria was telling me that you are the Fashion Director

lemily

usa, english
I am in a job interview and, for example, I'm being interviewed by Maria first, and she tells me I will meet John, the Fashion Director. When I meet John, I'd like to say something simple to get the conversation started, like:
Maria was telling me that you are the Fashion Director.

My attempt:
Maria mi stava dicendo che Lei è (tu sei) il direttore della moda.

Grazie per l'aiuto!

Quote Reply

• MoltoMahler

Italian
    Maria mi stava dicendo che Lei è (tu sei) il direttore della moda.
    La frase è corretta, però "direttore della moda" mi suona strano. Mi aspetterei di più qualcosa del tipo "direttore/responsabile dell'area moda/fashion". Non è un campo che conosco bene comunque, quindi il suggerimento è da prendere con le pinze.

symposium

Italian - Italy
    Sono pronto a metterci la mano sul fuoco che l'equivalente italiano di "fashion director" è... "fashion director"!

lemily

usa, english
    Sono pronto a metterci la mano sul fuoco che l'equivalente italiano di "fashion director" è... "fashion director"!
    Ah ok. It is common to say "fashion director" in an Italian conversation? There's no common translation for that position?

Starless74

Italiano
    Ah ok. It is common to say "fashion director" in an Italian conversation? There's no common translation for that position?
    I wouldn't say it's common to say it, but I agree with symposium: I don't think there's an Italian equivalent of 'fashion director'.
    English terms are widespread in Italy to define any kind of working position, in every business.
    Moreover, sometimes the same position has a different name in different companies. But I digress. :rolleyes:
    Let's put it this way: if I were a 'fashion director' and had to say what kind of job I do in a conversation in Italian, I'd begin with 'sono un fashion director' and then explain what it's about, rather than go looking for an Italian term in the first place. :D

symposium

Italian - Italy
    Just wanted to add that, in contemporary Italy, when having a conversation about business, the more random English words you throw in, the better. They don't have to, and generally are not, be pronounced correctly, or be in the right context, they don't even have to have a clear meaning at all: simply, the more English or English-sounding words you throw in, the better. That is to say, that no one in Italy is going to use an Italian translation of "fashion director" when they can just use the English phrase.

Olaszinhok

Italian
    Direttore moda would sound fine to me. Most Italians fancy using loads of English words mostly because they consider themselves to be cool, up-to-date, modern, cosmopolitan but they are not aware of the fact they are destroying their own language instead. :(

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >