Maria was telling me that you are the Fashion Director.

lemily

usa, english
I am in a job interview and, for example, I'm being interviewed by Maria first, and she tells me I will meet John, the Fashion Director. When I meet John, I'd like to say something simple to get the conversation started, like:
Maria was telling me that you are the Fashion Director.

My attempt:
玛丽亚告诉我你是时装总监。

谢谢您的帮助!

Quote Reply

• philchinamusical

Chinese-Mandarin and Shanghai dialect
    • Are "Maria" and "John" both Mandarin speaking Chinese? I guess they are but just want to make sure.
    • Since you are a English speaker, I guess the English sentence "Maria was telling me that you are the Fashion Director. " is focusing on that she WAS GIVING YOU THAT INFORMATION while something else went on. If that's the case, then the proper Chinese perhaps is: "玛丽亚跟我说您是时装总监的时候", followed by some other actions you are going to mention. Your attempt is the equivalent of "Maria told me that you are the Fashion Director."
    • Besides, I am not sure if "Fashion" means "时装" exactly here. Some other translations might be "时尚" or simply "流行". Perhaps you can consider to use the English title, if that's exactly what Maria told you.

lemily

usa, english
      • Are "Maria" and "John" both Mandarin speaking Chinese? I guess they are but just want to make sure.
      • Since you are a English speaker, I guess the English sentence "Maria was telling me that you are the Fashion Director. " is focusing on that she WAS GIVING YOU THAT INFORMATION while something else went on. If that's the case, then the proper Chinese perhaps is: "玛丽亚跟我说您是时装总监的时候", followed by some other actions you are going to mention. Your attempt is the equivalent of "Maria told me that you are the Fashion Director."
      • Besides, I am not sure if "Fashion" means "时装" exactly here. Some other translations might be "时尚" or simply "流行". Perhaps you can consider to use the English title, if that's exactly what Maria told you.
      [*][*]
      • In my example, John would be a Mandarin speaker. Maria isn't necessarily.
      • I'm not sure I understand your meaning, "while something else went on". I'm not thinking anything else was going on. Yes, I'm trying to say "Maria told me that you are the Fashion Director." It's just, in English, if Maria just a second ago, told me that John is the Fashion Director, I would say in English to John, "Maria was just telling me that you are the Fashion Director," which in this case is the same as "Maria told me that you are the Fashion Director." In this case, is my attempt correct?
      • Thank you for mentioning other ways "fashion" might be translated. I will look up job openings/positions in Mandarin and see if I can find one that's equivalent to "Fashion Director" in English. :)

philchinamusical

Chinese-Mandarin and Shanghai dialect
    Well, as you just explained, I think your current attempt is correct. But if you change "你" to "您", it will be perfect.

< Previous | Next >