Mariage en blanc

thabth

French - France
Comment pourrait-on se rapprocher en anglais de l'expression française mariage en blanc? J'ai pu la traduire en reprenant l'autre équivalence mariage de complaisance et qui donnerait "convenience marriage". Qu'en est-il de mariage en blanc en anglais?
Je vous remercie de votre éclairage.

• Lezert

french, France
    juste un mot pour nos amis anglophones:
    ne pas confondre
    "mariage blanc" ( de complaisance )
    et
    "mariage en blanc" (mariage traditionnel avec robe blanche)

geve

France, French
    Hello thabth, et bienvenue sur le forum :)

Je n'ai pas la réponse pour l'anglais, mais je ne doute pas que des foreros plus compétents l'auront... J'ai moi aussi trouvé "marriage of convenience" dans le résumé du film Green Card.

Mais en ce qui concerne le français, il s'agit plutôt de "mariage blanc", non ? Pour moi, "se marier en blanc", ça veut dire que la mariée porte la traditionnelle robe de couleur virginale...

timpeac

English (England)
    Simply "a white wedding" then:). I wasn't sure if it was suggesting something like it was unconsummated!:)

geve

France, French
    timpeac said:
    Simply "a white wedding" then:). I wasn't sure if it was suggesting something like it was unconsummated!:)
    That's what "mariage blanc" says, indeed... But I'm not sure now if thabth wants to translate "mariage blanc" or "mariage en blanc" :confused:

"White wedding" is "mariage en blanc", right?

thabth

French - France
    Mariage en blanc était en effet un lapsus. I am in agreement with "white wedding" but is it common?

timpeac

English (England)
    thabth said:
    Mariage en blanc était en effet un lapsus. I am in agreement with "white wedding" but is it common?
    More common than I suspect it should strictly be, but then I'm a rather suspicious person:D

Yes, it's very common.

geve

France, French
    thabth said:
    I don't understand: you say that your writing "mariage en blanc" was a mistake, so that means you're looking for a translation for "mariage blanc"... "white wedding" doesn't fit then :confused:

Is there another word for mariage blanc than "marriage of convenience" or "convenience marriage" (and are these used)?

KittyCatty

English UK
    I can only think of a "shotgun wedding" when the bride is or is rumoured to be pregnant and she's getting married before the baby is born. This is probably completely the wrong thing! But I have never heard or used the term marriage of convenience or convenience marriage before.

Edit: I have now read the Green Card link. I don't know of a phrase actually. Marriage of convenience isn't well used but in the context it seems like an apt term. I'll try and think of another one.
    I like edwingill's suggestion of paper marriage. I didn't think it it was that common either, until I got a lot of google returns. However, on the link I found the term "fake marriage". That's the one I would have used!

babyburns

French, lives in the UK
    I would have used FAKE MARRIAGE too for a MARIAGE BLANC but if we are talking MARIAGE EN BLANC (as in dressed in white, virgin connotation, etc.) it's definitely WHITE WEDDING

NYCPrincesse

English, USA
    geve said:
    I don't understand: you say that your writing "mariage en blanc" was a mistake, so that means you're looking for a translation for "mariage blanc"... "white wedding" doesn't fit then :confused:

Is there another word for mariage blanc than "marriage of convenience" or "convenience marriage" (and are these used)?
    I have heard the term "marriage of convenience" but also "paper marriage". I've never really heard "fake marriage" although I assume everyone would understand you if you said it...

Samuel. J. Barr.

Scotland, English
    mariage en blanc- marriage of convenience, or marriage on paper only.
    Not that uncommon nowadays and used seemingly when someone is seeking a quick route to citizenship of a country.

mariage blanc- white wedding, or the bride wore white.

Suggesting a traditional wedding , with traditional values ( though this may not always be the case )

Sam

Gardefeu

French (France)
    NO, NO, NO, NO! You were right! I was about to post a message congratulating you on the way you rounded up the topic perfectly and clearly!

Alipeeps

UK
    UK - English
    Marriage in name only is also used in some contexts.
    Good suggestion.

Marriage in name only is the term I would use for a marriage that is not consumated (where the two people are not truly married and, although they may live at the same address do not sleep together etc) - I would guess this is the meaning of marriage blanc.

Marriage of convenience (mariage de complaisance) is a common term (and is always expressed in this way and not "convenience marriage") and means essentially marriage for ulterior motives (e.g. to obtain citizenship) - I would differentiate it from marriage in name only because although marriage of convenience although it does usually mean the marriage is not consummated, this is not always the case. A couple may marry for convenience's sake and actually live as a married couple and sleep together. Whereas with marriage in name only, the in name only explicitly specifies that they do not live as a married couple and do not sleep together.

< Previous | Next >