Mariage pluvieux, mariage heureux

• Madasa

English-UK
    no no, it wasn't taken in offence, I was just continuing the joke!
    I am by no means a royalist (don't get me started). Anyway I didn't mean to offend the French either. It was just a joke, maybe I took it too far?

Mandra

French
    A piece of information, the origin of this sentence, I've been told, is actually :

"mariage plus vieux, mariage heureux", young girls usually marrying old men in the past. Not sure the sentence was giving the bride hope, but it is funny how it changed to become 'pluvieux'...

:)

Mandra

French
    A friend of my mother's, but actually, if you look for it on the Internet, you will find plenty of websites talking about this....
    :)

anne-kate

Thanks to all for that spirited exchange.

I had assumed indeed there was no equivalent in English, due to your invigorating climate.
    Don't be offended at this— personally I love rain.

Of course, "mariage pluvieux, mariage heureux", is sthg we say by way of consolation.

a-k

franc 91

English - GB
    There are quite a few proverbs or sayings about marriage in English and Irish English and Irish Gaelic etc and quite a few traditional songs about young maids having to marry old men, or shepherdesses getting seduced by noble knights and having to take the consequences but rain I'm afraid doesn't enter into it - perhaps we don't notice it

hampton.mc

French
    D'après ce que j'ai trouvé sur google (sans garantie) ce n'est pas à propos des filles se mariant avec des hommes plus âgés mais à des mariages faits "sur le tard"
    Voir et voir

< Previous | Next >