Marigold. Lovered. Woman.

fishvanda

Hungarian
Hey Guys,
could you please help me with this? What would "marigold" mean here? It oddly doesn't fit the sentence. The context is: in 17th century colonial America a widow refuses to remarry and after a walk of shame, she stands on her heel. My guess is that she refers to the flower's symbolic meaning, which could be cruelty. What do you think? Thanks!

"The more they seek to shame me, the more I will refuse to be tamed. A widow knows a man. She is no longer immaculate.
She is milked flesh. Then I will be the peach that they fear. I will be as open as I wish to be. Marigold. Lovered. Woman."

Source: British period drama, Jamestown S02E07, Carnival

• Chasint

English - England
    I have never heard marigold used in this way - it is certainly not a common expression. It may have had some special meaning to the author, just as peach may have.

The following link gives over a dozen possible symbolic meanings for marigold and says that these differ in different cultures. The Floral Guide: What Does a Marigold Flower Actually Symbolize?

Maybe the word had a particular meaning in that era and place.

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, I saw that. You may be right, of course. I tried to check it (episode 7) online, but I don’t have access.

Loob

English UK
    I tried to check it too, with no success. Since Jamestown is a TV series, I think
    Marigold. Lovered. Woman."
    is decidedly unlikely.
    But I haven't found any transcripts to tell me what the correct words are.

fishvanda

Hungarian
    It's from the script itself, so it should be okay, but surely mistakes may occur, but this is what I hear as well in the episode. She definitely says "lovered" i.e. has lovers even though she's not remarried. Her name is Jocelyn, so Marigold it's not her name. And she's still quite young, so not married old woman either. :) I have no idea. I'd still go for the flower's symbolic meaning.

< Previous | Next >