mark off the side wall the width of your ceiling paper

Kross

Korean
Hello, everyone.
This excerpt is from reading material for learners. I'd like you to rephrase these two sentences in boldface. Although I know every single word there, I cannot get what they mean when they are combined together.

For No. 1, All I understand is draw a line on the side wall. (I may be wrong). The part of [the width~an inch] is bugging me a lot.

For No. 2, I cannot picture what the second sentence describes.

Papering a ceiling demands careful preparation. First, measure and (1) mark off the side wall the width of your ceiling paper subtracted by approximately half an inch. Do the same at the opposite end of the ceiling. Then, (2) join these two marks with a builder's chalk line to mark where the edge of the first length of paper should go. Follow this line with caution while papering, or else your paper may curve, and too much curving could lead you to a point where you will be unable to line up the edges of the paper.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The instructions are nonsense, but the problem is in the words mark off the side wall, subtracted by and perhaps chalk line. Read:

(1) A standard roll of wallpaper is 20.5 inches wide. On the ceiling, just above the side wall, mark a point 20 inches from the corner of the room.
    (2) Mark the same distance at the opposite end of the ceiling. Then, join these two marks using a builder's chalk line to mark where the edge of the first length of paper should go.

You should understand that a builder's chalk line is a piece of string dipped in coloured chalk, which is held taut along the surface of a wall or ceiling, and flicked to leave a straight line on the surface.

Now I think it will make sense. It will probably take two people to do this marking, to hold the two ends of the chalk-line.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >