marked his calling

QuangHai

Viet
I am reading W. Trevor story - The potato dealer. In the story, a girl had intercourse with a priest and then had a kid. The priest has gone but she keep loving him. Below is what her thought.

'She saw him as she always now imagined him, in his cassock and his surplice, the embroidered cross that marked his calling repeated again in the gestures of his blessing'

I understand on his garment, a cross was embroidered. But I am not sure what is real meaning of underlined words. Please someone kindly help me out on this? Many thanks.

• GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    If it was only the "marked his calling" part that you were unsure of, then it has the meaning that I sent you in the PM, it means that the cross shows that he is a priest.

:)

QuangHai

Viet
    If it was only the "marked his calling" part that you were unsure of, then it has the meaning that I sent you in the PM, it means that the cross shows that he is a priest.

:)
    Thanks GMF :). Regarding the rest: 'repeated again in the gestures of his blessing': I guess the priest as his job, usually make a cross with his right hand. :). Am I right?

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo.

In ... the embroidered cross that marked his calling repeated again in the gestures of his blessing ... reference is made to the "structure" of the cross — roughly, up and down for the vertical axis; left and right for the horizontal axis — which is mirrored in the priest's gestures when he blesses the faithful.

GS

QuangHai

Viet
    Everyone, thanks for your inputs. I thought that priest should wear a cross on his neck rather than got an embroidered cross on clothing. Am I wrong? Further more, when priest should wear cassock and when the surplice?

< Previous | Next >