1. MmePitchounette Senior Member

    Sherbrooke, Quebec
    Français, Canada

    comment appelle-t-on un "marqueur de relation" en anglais?

    "[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Il serait facile de jouer dans les body text avec des marqueurs de relation qui marqueraient le déroulement du temps. "[/FONT]

    Merci à l'avance
  2. guillaumedemanzac

    guillaumedemanzac Senior Member

    English - Southern England Home Counties
    No meaning for me. Body text ???? markers of ****** which would mark the passing/passage of time - what is markers of relation? - not an English phrase ?? context please ! ???
  3. pointvirgule

    pointvirgule Senior Member

    Mtl, QC
    langue française
    Je dirais : relationship marker. Exemple dans cette page (à la fin).
    Il s'agit d'un mot ou d'une locution qui établit une relation (temporelle, causale, etc.) entre des phrases ou à l'intérieur d'une phrase.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. guillaumedemanzac

    guillaumedemanzac Senior Member

    English - Southern England Home Counties
    sorry but like body text, none of those phrases make sense to me so I can't help - sounds like deep structure grammatical and linguistic jargon which overall has very litlle reality in actual language usage.
    my sincere apologies
  5. Keith Bradford

    Keith Bradford Senior Member

    Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Body text is the easy bit. This is the text that forms the body of the message. Imagine a magazine article:
    Body text

    Byline / Signature

    So far so good. But these are printing terms, so the idea in Pointvirgule's link of words that link paragraphs together seems less than likely. Perhaps these are the printing devices that separate paragraphs??? You know the type of thing:

    *. *
  6. pointvirgule

    pointvirgule Senior Member

    Mtl, QC
    langue française
    Sigh!... Marqueur de relation is a term that is commonly used in the context of French teaching in Québec – where MmePitchounette lives.

    If you want to know more about that concept, you may download the document titled Marqueurs de relation from this website.

    In the OP's example, it is suggested to insert "relationship markers" in the body of the text in order to better specify the chronological sequence of events. The use of body text in the sentence is an unfortunate use of Frenglish; it really means le corps du texte.

    Now, the matter here is what the proper English term to translate marqueur de relation might be. I found one example of relationship marker used in an educational page. If there is a better/more official term for this, by all means let us know.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  7. Marie3933

    Marie3933 Senior Member

    connective, perhaps?
  8. Nicomon

    Nicomon Senior Member

    Français, Québec ♀

    I side with pointvirgule on that one.

    As found through Linguee (emphasis mine) :
    Those are extracted from the correction grid of French/English separate documents from the New Brunswick Department of Education.
    Page 80 of 86, in case you wouldn't have time to read the whole thing. :D

    English version: http://www.gnb.ca/0000/publications/evalf/Rapportpublic2003EN.pdf
    French version: http://www.gnb.ca/0000/publications/evalf/Rapportpublic2003FR.pdf

    And this is a short extract from a document from Université de Montréal - Faculté d'éducation permanente entitled
    « Guide de préparation au test de français d'admission »
    So, I would say that connective words = mots-liens but that marqueurs de relation definitely is (at least in Canada) : relationship markers.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. WRS Banned

    or connectors

    in French, we call them mots de liaison or connecteurs.
  10. rotax Member

    Canada, French
  11. Nicomon

    Nicomon Senior Member

    Français, Québec ♀
    Well... if I had to translate linking words/connectors to French, it would not be « marqueurs de relation », but rather, as mentioned before : mots de liaison/mots-lien or connecteurs.

    I maintain that in my opinion, the best translation is the literal one : relationship markers. But in the end, the decision isn't mine to make. ;)
  12. guillaumedemanzac

    guillaumedemanzac Senior Member

    English - Southern England Home Counties
    the problem is that relationship markers is obviously an ideolect for a small group of people. I am a language teacher with an MA in applied linguistics. Never heard this phrase. You all seem to be describing connectors or indicators and in this case time phrases which act as links and should be ordered correctly to show the correct time sequence. This is not a relationship in any normal sense of the word.
    I would use time indicators or conjunctions of time or simply time phrases. Many writing manuals (correct English) give examples of how to use these conjunctions in the correct order and how to use different ones to avoid monotony or repetition e.g. instead of THEN, THEN, NEXT, NEXT, FINALLY - you should begin First, then, next, after, consequently, subsequently, at this point, following that, penultimately, finally.
    I think that is what they mean; so stick with linking words, transition words, connectors, time indicators, conjunctions of time, place, person as suggested by several people above.
  13. Nicomon

    Nicomon Senior Member

    Français, Québec ♀
    Granted, but then I think we can also safely assume that « marqueurs de relation » is not common usage either in Europe.

    Of course what they mean is linking/transition words, connectors, etc. but all of those have French equivalents that are not « marqueurs de relation ».
    My point is simply that in a Canadian context, and as shown from French/English taken from a Canadian Department of Education... it would be understood.

    Alors maintenant, comme on dit chez-nous, la balle est dans le camp de MmePitchounette, qui habite au Québec.
    À elle de choisir entre une option canadienne ou plus internationale. ;)
  14. guillaumedemanzac

    guillaumedemanzac Senior Member

    English - Southern England Home Counties
    I like the French for the ball is in her court. And note well your comment that linguistic jargon varies from group to group as well as from country to country. Humpty Dumpty said "When I use a word, it means exactly what I want it to mean - neither more nor less." Good philosophy for language aficianados.

Share This Page