Martellare la testa

ollylove

Italian
Hi community,

I'm trying to translate this sentence but I'm not quite sure what verb to use:

"Oggi sono giu', ho bisogno di martellre la mia testa con un po' di musica heavy metal"

"I'm blue today, I need to [pound/hammer] my head with some heavy metal music"

What's the best translation you suggest, please??

Thank you!!
Olly

• Starless74

Italiano
    Are you perhaps talking about "headbanging" and "headbangers" (the colloquial term for metal fans, at least back when I was in high school)? Headbanging - Wikipedia
    If so, I'd say "I need to bang my head to some heavy metal."
    That's frenetically moving one's head to the music (typically to heavy metal), while the OS suggests the speaker wishes his head to be "pounded" by some heavy metal music. This said, I don't know the exact English for that (if any).:(

ollylove

Italian
    Thank you guys, "martellare la testa con heavy metal music" is an expression I made up based on the idea that metal music (at high volume) literally hammers your head, hence I was looking for an english expression that gives such an idea.. it doesn't really need to be related to Headbanging, as for example rap music can hammer your head too, and generally speaking any kind of music can, when heard at full blast with headphones..

Does this all make sense??.. :p

theartichoke

English - Canada
    That's frenetically moving one's head to the music (typically to heavy metal), while the OS suggests the speaker wishes his head to be "pounded" by some heavy metal music. This said, I don't know the exact English for that (if any).:(
    Ah--thanks for the clarification. Grammatically speaking, I wasn't sure whether "con" in this context could mean "hammer my head along with" as well as "hammer my head with / get my head hammered by." Olly's new post, though, makes it clear this has nothing to do with headbanging.

I'd suggest "beat my brains out" as a similar English expression, but it sounds a bit violent / suicidal in the context of "I'm feeling blue today, so I think I'll beat my brains out with some heavy metal"! :D

ollylove

Italian
    Ah--thanks for the clarification. Grammatically speaking, I wasn't sure whether "con" in this context could mean "hammer my head along with" as well as "hammer my head with / get my head hammered by." Olly's new post, though, makes it clear this has nothing to do with headbanging.

I'd suggest "beat my brains out" as a similar English expression, but it sounds a bit violent / suicidal in the context of "I'm feeling blue today, so I think I'll beat my brains out with some heavy metal"! :D
    whoa, sounds like a good fit as an expression here!!.. :D:thumbsup:

I don’t think ‘headbanging’ is necessarily literal, even though it often is. Headbanginging music could simply refer to music that is extremely loud and has a strong beat.
    in that case, I need a blast of headbanging heavy metal music is kinda appropriate.. :cool: and I even like this expression, sounds so hardcore!!

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I don’t think ‘headbanging’ is necessarily literal, even though it often is. Headbanginging music could simply refer to music that is extremely loud and has a strong beat.
    Might be a difference between Australian and Canadian English: you say "headbanging" or "headbanger" here, and you're talking about heavy metal and nothing else. There were punks, goths, preppies, and headbangers at my high school, and I'm sure the punks, at least, liked their music loud....but it didn't make them headbangers. :)

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Might be a difference between Australian and Canadian English: you say "headbanging" or "headbanger" here, and you're talking about heavy metal and nothing else. There were punks, goths, preppies, and headbangers at my high school, and I'm sure the punks, at least, liked their music loud....but it didn't make them headbangers. :)
    Wikipedia suggests it’s common in more than just heavy metal music.

Headbanging - Wikipedia

Headbanging is violently shaking one's head in time with music. It is common in the contemporary rock, punk and heavy metal music genres, where headbanging is often used by musicians on stage. In recent times, headbanging has become more common in various electronic dance music genres.[1]

Last edited:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Wikipedia suggests it’s common in more than just heavy metal music.
    I don't doubt it. I'm not talking about the activity itself, but about what the word means in Canadian slang, possibly just Canadian slang of the 1980s. Now I'm curious enough to ask some teens and 20-somethings whether it's still in use and if so, if it still means the same thing.

Edit: a friend's 15 year old daughter (a self-styled "goth" who looks nothing like what I remember as a "goth") says that nobody uses "headbanger" any more, and had no idea whether or not it had anything to do with heavy metal. The friend herself, a Toronto teenager in the 80s, agrees that "headbangers" are metal fans and nothing else. So there you go: totally outdated 80s slang, possibly Canadian.

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    That's my take too. I only associate headbanging with hard rock and metal. When i think punk I think of the concerts I went to in the 70s/80s: we pogoed (jumped up and down).:)

ollylove

Italian
    err, thank you for the enlightenment guys.. and now that we've discarded the headbanging thing, we're back at the starting point: what's the best translation to my expression??.. :confused:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    err, thank you for the enlightenment guys.. and now that we've discarded the headbanging thing, we're back at the starting point: what's the best translation to my expression??.. :confused:
    Hey, don't knock the WR tangent: you never know when you're going to meet a 50-year old North American with a taste for Metallica whom you can impress by asking "so, were you a headbanger back in high school?" :D

The trouble with coming up with a translation is that there's no set expression in English for what you want to say, so it's a matter of inventing something that sounds natural and colloquial, or at least not unnatural. "I need to go bash my brains with..." (without the "out" it sounds less suicidal), "go hammer my skull with...", "go pound my ears with..." all sound okay to me. For some reason, adding the "go" after "need to" makes them all sound much more like something a native speaker would say.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Hey, don't knock the WR tangent: you never know when you're going to meet a 50-year old North American with a taste for Metallica whom you can impress by asking "so, were you a headbanger back in high school?" :D

The trouble with coming up with a translation is that there's no set expression in English for what you want to say, so it's a matter of inventing something that sounds natural and colloquial, or at least not unnatural. "I need to go bash my brains with..." (without the "out" it sounds less suicidal), "go hammer my skull with...", "go pound my ears with..." all sound okay to me. For some reason, adding the "go" after "need to" makes them all sound much more like something a native speaker would say.
    I quite like “I need to go bash my brains out with some heavy metal music” with the ‘out’ included. It doesn’t sound suicidal if you add the word ‘music’ at the end. :D

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >