Master of/in/on Science

< Previous | Next >

malozanog

Mexico Spanish
¿El título Maestro en Ciencias Computacionales se traduce Master of Computer Science o Master in Computer Science?

• Chris K

English / US
    Well that sounds better. What about MSc. in Computer Science

The MSc. I believe is the correct abreviation.

Am I right?
    According to Wikipedia, "Master of Science often is abbreviated MS or M.S. in the United States,[3] and MSc or M.Sc. in Commonwealth nations and Europe." The Chicago Manual of Style uses M.S. So you're free to use any of the above, but probably M.S. in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master's_degree

Saludos

Chris K

English / US
    It should be Masters or just Master, not Master's.

Saludos.
    The first couple of sources I checked have "Master's," but you're welcome to disagree. Here are the ones I found:

http://www.wordcourt.com/archives.php?show=2008-06-25

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071129111617AAHnPQn

It doesn't really strike us as possessive when we say "I have a Master's," but in origin it is, if I'm not mistaken, "a master's degree" = "a degree that has been granted to and which therefore belongs to a Master."

Saludos -- C

Lis48

English - British
    In UK, we would call it a Masters degree of MSc for short, with no apostrophe. Masters is used as an adjective a bit like sports in sports car, with no possessive.
    But in the US it is often called a Master´s degree with an apostrophe and they shorten it to MS.
    They are very different as the British MSc is usually just a one year, lecture course which is pitched at the level of the second year of an American MA. The American MA is longer and more research based.

David

Banned
    Zumac is wrong.I have heard people say in Spanglish "Fulano tiene un Master," or even un "majter," but it is not correct in English or Spanish, where it should be called a "maestría," a step toward a "doctorado.".

Chris K is right in all respects. You should use the abbreviation preferred by the person whose c.v. you are translating, whether M.S. or M.Sc. The person will normally use the form preferred by the university that issued the degree.

In your case, where the degree is called "Maestro en Ciencias Computacionales," I think I would not use an abbreviation at all, but call it a "Master's in Computer Science." It is not an M.Sc. degree. Sorry I misled you with an ambiguous response.

malozanog

Mexico Spanish
    I agree with you that sometimes "spanglish" is misleading.

People in Spain uses the term Magister or Master but is, for what I now know, similar to the British term not precise as our own that is in fact is a step toward a "doctorado.

Master's in Computer Science sounds perfect to me , by the way, the CV is my own.

The reason I ask was because I ran with the term "Master of" and in my knoledge it's ok to say "Master's in"

Thank you all.

< Previous | Next >