Mastku

one

New Member
America English
I have no idea what the word "Mastku" means or what language it derives from. Can anyone be of assistance to me. Thank you very much.
 
  • one

    New Member
    America English
    Thank you for your help. I am unsure of what it means or even what language it is, so if it is misspelled I would not know. It is pure curriosity and a slight neccesity that drives me to find the meaning.
     

    JJchang

    Senior Member
    NZ - English, Chinese
    I don't think it's Japanese. They don't have any "stku" sound (3 consonants connected together is unheard of).
     

    la grive solitaire

    Senior Member
    United States, English
    "Mastku" seems to be Czech. I have a possible translation, but I'm not sure that it's even close since I don't know the language. ;) Jana337 is from the Czech Republic so perhaps she can enlighten us.
     

    suzzzenn

    Senior Member
    USA English
    I typed mastku into the language identifier and it said it was Estonian. It is very cool software, but I find it too sensitive to spelling errors. I typed in Spanish without the accents and it told me it was esperanto. I typed in some Bulgarian using our alphabet and it told me it was Croation. Very close! But not 100 percent accurate.

    Here's the link: http://odur.let.rug.nl/~vannoord/TextCat/Demo/

    Enjoy!
    Susan
     

    ayed

    Senior Member
    Arabic(Saudi)
    Hi, all
    If we assume that you misspelled it , we have such suggestions as follows:

    1-Miastko (German: Rummelsburg), is a town in Middle Pomerania region, north-western Poland with some 10,000 inhabitants. It is also part of Bytow County in Pomeranian Voivodship since 1999, previously in Slupsk Voivodship (1975-1998).

    2-Masku is a municipality of Finland.It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Finland Proper region. The municipality has a population of 5,785 (2003) and covers an area of 93.11 km² of which 0.12 km² is water. The population density is 62.1 inhabitants per km².The municipality is unilingually Finnish.

    3-Mastic : a sort of wild chewing gum

    have good times
    Ayed
     

    Jana337

    Senior Member
    čeština
    la grive solitaire said:
    "Mastku" seems to be Czech. I have a possible translation, but I'm not sure that it's even close since I don't know the language. ;) Jana337 is from the Czech Republic so perhaps she can enlighten us.
    Here I am! Yes, I can enlighten you - one of the rare opportunities, actually, as my native tongue is not in great demand. :)

    "Mastek" means soapstone, talcum. We decline words according to in which case they are. "Mastku" is a form of "mastek" after several prepositions, i.e. (made of) soapstone = (vyrobeno z) mastku.

    Hope this helps. I will supply you with further details if you wish.

    Jana
     

    Jana337

    Senior Member
    čeština
    La grive solitaire, will you let us know your guess? And the way you arrived at it?

    Jana
     

    Jana337

    Senior Member
    čeština
    Whodunit said:
    Hi Jana,

    Google proposes Czech, if I don't err. Please click on "cached" and see in what context it is used. You know how good my Czech is.
    It means exactly what I explained above. :)
    Looks like you have missed one of my posts.

    Jana

    P.S. Speckstein, Steatit auf Deutsch.
     

    Whodunit

    Senior Member
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Jana337 said:
    It means exactly what I explained above. :)
    Looks like you have missed one of my posts.

    Jana

    P.S. Speckstein, Steatit auf Deutsch.
    I didn't miss any of your posts, but I wasn't sure if the picture fits the text. That's why I asked you to read it. And I don't know what a "Speckstein" and "Steatit" is, because I have nothing to do with minerals.
     

    la grive solitaire

    Senior Member
    United States, English
    Jana337 said:
    La grive solitaire, will you let us know your guess? And the way you arrived at it? Jana
    Ahoj Jana,
    I began by looking up "mastku" on Google, and found it at http://www.orientshop.cz/index.php?s=2486&PHPSESSID=936a80fd398f8a9f59ee330591236cee, beneath a picture that said "aromlampa", an aromatherapy diffuser. I thought the language was probably Czech and entered "mastku" in the Multilingual Dictionary http://www.wordbook.cz/index.php but there was nothing. I had noticed "mastek" above the picture, so I broke down "mastku" to "mast" and tried it. "Mast" translated as ointment, etc.-- the "essential oils" used in aromatherapy?--yet beneath "mast" was mastek = soapstone, which I could see was what the diffuser was made of. So I guessed that "mastku" referred either to essential oils or to soapstone. It was fun to play amateur cryptologist! :)
     

    Jana337

    Senior Member
    čeština
    la grive solitaire said:
    Ahoj Jana,
    I began by looking up "mastku" on Google, and found it at http://www.orientshop.cz/index.php?s=2486&PHPSESSID=936a80fd398f8a9f59ee330591236cee, beneath a picture that said "aromlampa", an aromatherapy diffuser. I thought the language was probably Czech and entered "mastku" in the Multilingual Dictionary http://www.wordbook.cz/index.php but there was nothing. I had noticed "mastek" above the picture, so I broke down "mastku" to "mast" and tried it. "Mast" translated as ointment, etc.-- the "essential oils" used in aromatherapy?--yet beneath "mast" was mastek = soapstone, which I could see was what the diffuser was made of. So I guessed that "mastku" referred either to essential oils or to soapstone. It was fun to play amateur cryptologist! :)
    Wow! My compliments to your intelligence and patience.

    Jana
     

    one

    New Member
    America English
    Umm... hehe... wow I apreciate your dedication to my cause. I should of mentioned this earlier but it could be a name.
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top