Mat, rug, carpet: what's the difference?

< Previous | Next >

kajipriatel

french Belgium
What's the difference between the words MAT, RUG, CARPET when we are talking about a persian one?
I read on the web the terms silk persian rug or silk persian carpet or silk persian mat.
What are the right words?
Thank you

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I'm no expert on this, but my perception is that rug and carpet are interchangeable when we're thinking about the Persian items.

I think of a mat as being small, and often rough. I can imagine a Muslim prayer mat being Persian though.

kajipriatel

french Belgium
    OK, it's clear for the dictionnary.
    But, as I will have to use one of these words for my shop, what is the most used word that the potential customers will employ in the serach engines if they want a persian "rug" of 2m x 3m? Will they enter "silk rug" or silk carpet" or "silk mat"?
    It would be interesting for me to have a answers from English mother language people and not mother language English speaking ones.
    thank you

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It would be interesting for me to have a answers from English mother language people and not mother language English speaking ones.
    I think you mean you'd like responses from native speakers of English as well as from non-native speakers of English, wouldn't you? I would only use rug or carpet for what you described.

kajipriatel

french Belgium
    Yes, that's what I want to have as answer.
    Because I read on the sites of the wprld biggest silk rug manufacturers that they use the word carpet. And I was shocked when I read a silk carpet instead of a silk rug.
    But maybe for the web, I will have to employ both words: rug and carpet.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Without any specific context to go on, I'd interpret a "carpet" as being big enough to cover a whole room, whereas a "rug" would cover a much smaller floor area. :)

< Previous | Next >