Mateship

< Previous | Next >

LatinRainbow

español
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if this word really exists?
I think I read it once in a newspaper ( Australian, I guess ), but cannot find it in the dictionary right now.
Thanks...

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if this word really exists?
    I think I read it once in a newspaper ( Australian, I guess ), but cannot find it in the dictionary right now.
    Thanks...
    Never heard it before but presume that someone took the Australian propensity for using "mate" to be cute ie: partnership, relationship, friendship, etc.

mtmjr

English (US)
    While I've never heard it in the US, it seems like a logical colloquialism in Australia where the use of the word "mate" to denote "good friend" is prevalent.

Matching Mole

England, English
    This is (according to Wikipedia, which has an article on it) an Australian "cultural idiom". An Australian government website also has a page on the subject:
    'Mateship' is a concept that can be traced back to early colonial times. The harsh environment in which convicts and new settlers found themselves meant that men and women closely relied on each other for all sorts of help. In Australia, a 'mate' is more than just a friend. It's a term that implies a sense of shared experience, mutual respect and unconditional assistance.

toshev

Australia, English
    Matching mole is right. It's not really in common use, but most Australians would probably have an idea of the sorts of things it refers to, though a much fuzzier one than provided in the Wiki article. Most would probably simply understand it as getting together with one's mates for some beers or a barbeque, but also to be willing to stand up for them and support them, especially in cases of gross injustice or hard times.

Modern economic boom times are considered to have lessened these bonds, and recent governments have made attempts to assert "mateship" as a common cultural "Australian value," with, in my opinion, questionable success.

< Previous | Next >