Math classes are my favorite(s)?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Use "favorite". It might appear to make sense to use "favorites", and it would not be wrong grammatically, but with a plural noun, "favorite" is more often used to refer to a type of thing, rather than a collection of individual things. This may be a little easier to see with animal species, where both a singular noun (with "the") and a plural noun can be used almost interchangeably:
    Q. What's your favorite animal?​
    A1. Tigers are my favorite.​
    A2. The tiger is my favorite.​

If the subject had been two or more individual things, then you would need "favorites" (plural), for example:
    The green one and the blue one are my favorites.​

PureLand

Chinese
    Use "favorite". It might appear to make sense to use "favorites", and it would not be wrong grammatically, but with a plural noun, "favorite" is more often used to refer to a type of thing, rather than a collection of individual things. This may be a little easier to see with animal species, where both a singular noun (with "the") and a plural noun can be used almost interchangeably:
    Q. What's your favorite animal?​
    A1. Tigers are my favorite.​
    A2. The tiger is my favorite.​

If the subject had been two or more individual things, then you would need "favorites" (plural), for example:
    The green one and the blue one are my favorites.​
    Uncle Jack, I really appreciate your detailed and clear explanation! Problem solved! Thank you so much :D

< Previous | Next >