Matricolato satellite

< Previous | Next >

JoanTaber

English Northeast USA
Ciao a tutti,
Matricolato satellite: Here’s an expression I can’t figure out. The text concerns the Decemviri, specifically Appius Claudius and Virginia, around 451 BC.
“Appio Claudio citó Virginia … e sostenne che fosse schiava di Marco Claudio, suo matricolato satellite.”
"Appius Claudius brought suit against Virginia ... declaring that she was the slave of Marcus Claudius, his ???"
Could it be some sort of BC groupie? Sycophant? Alter ego? (Surely, if he were a relative, the author would have been clearer.)

• wonderment

English
    Ciao a tutti,
    Matricolato satellite: Here’s an expression I can’t figure out. The text concerns the Decemviri, specifically Appius Claudius and Virginia, around 451 BC.
    “Appio Claudio citó Virginia … e sostenne che fosse schiava di Marco Claudio, suo matricolato satellite.”
    "Appius Claudius brought suit against Virginia ... declaring that she was the slave of Marcus Claudius, his ???"
    Could it be some sort of BC groupie? Sycophant? Alter ego? (Surely, if he were a relative, the author would have been clearer.)
    Hi Joan,

This definition for ‘satellite’ from DeMauro seems to fit the context:

3b CO estens., uomo di fiducia | spreg., persona legata da rapporti di servilismo e opportunismo a un personaggio potente, spec. politico: ecco il ministro con i suoi satelliti
    The story is from Livy’s History of Rome (3.44), and in the original Latin, Marco Claudio is referred to as Appio Claudio’s ‘cliens’, meaning a personal dependent, client, retainer, follower, or companion. This would make Appio, Marco’s patron. It’s a Roman patron-client social and political relationship. So I would translate “matricolato satellite” as “his out-and-out sycophant/dependent” ...while we wait for confirmation from native speakers.

HTH :) (And Happy Independence Day!!)

< Previous | Next >