matriculate

ascension

English-United States
Hi foreros,

I'm looking for a translation of the verb 'to matriculate.' It seems as though the word "matriularse" is a synonym for "inscribirse" or, in English, "to register."

But at least in the United States, "matriculate" means to accept a place as a degree-seeking student in a school, not to simply register for a class.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!

• bardos

english andalucía
    to matriculate means basically "to enroll". you pays, you signs up,

you most you likely attend classes. i think that "matricularse" is an adequate translation.

ascension

English-United States
    Thanks bardos, but then how would you differentiate between a matriculated student (degree-seeking) and a visiting student (just taking a class, not towards a degree)?

ascension

English-United States
    Ok, given that, is the following correct?

1. Es un estudiante matriculado. (with the implication that he is degree-seeking)
    2. Es un estudiante matriculado por libre. (implies that he is just taking classes)

From your answer I get the impression that the second one is correct, but I'm not certain that the first option has the implication I'm looking for.

ascension

English-United States
    right, but what about the first one? Is there a word to describe that degree-seeking person? "Es un estudiante ______" ?

FromPA

USA English
    I think the general assumption would be that a person enrolled in a school has the intention of obtaining a degree. A person not having that intention would be the exception to the rule. So it seems to me that the second case might require clarification, but not the first case.

ascension

English-United States
    hmm, ok. Thanks very much bardos and FromPA. It seems like there isn't an exact translation and that in Spanish to say that you are registered is sufficient to say that you are degree-seeking.

Thank you.