mauvais reveil

Kelly B

USA English
Bonjour! Here is the sentence I'm puzzling over:

Ne jamais faire voir son mauvais reveil.

I understand what it means, but I'm not sure how to say it in English. Don't show that you woke up on the wrong side of bed is more colloquial than the French original, I think, but we don't usually say that we woke up badly. Usually we just talk about how badly we slept.

Any other ideas (edit: for a better English equivalent)?

Thanks!

• mgarizona

US - American English
    Tough one. Is there more context? Sometimes it's a matter of balancing one phrase off of another.

I thought of "Never let them see you groggy" but that's probably moving in the wrong direction.

Maybe something with "Keep your ______ private" or "to yourself"

Good luck!

RuK

English/lives France
    I know it's more formal, but (depending on context), would it work to say "Never display your early-morning irritation/bad mood/messy hair (or whatever)"?

Kelly B

USA English
    Thank you very much! I'm still waffling between something like your suggestions, or reverting to the fact that you slept badly, since that's more idiomatic in English.

Additional context: it is advice for providing good service.

walkyrie

né et vit en France
    Honestly, the sentence "Ne jamais faire voir son mauvais réveil." doesn't sound very idiomatic in French to me.
    Je dirais plutôt : "Ne jamais montrer qu'on a eu du mal à sa réveiller / qu'on s'est levé du pied gauche / que le réveil fut difficile ..."
    So the question of the relevance of its transation into English is somewhat rhetorical, if I may say so.

french4beth

US-English
    Kelly, I think that your suggestion is the best - plus, as you mentioned, we generally only wake up with difficulty if we haven't slept well.

I found another expression, mal réveillé(e), meaning half-asleep, didn't wake up properly; perhaps "Never let them see that you're still half asleep / that you're not really awake yet".

quentin75

france
    Honestly, the sentence "Ne jamais faire voir son mauvais réveil." doesn't sound very idiomatic in French to me.
    Je dirais plutôt : "Ne jamais montrer qu'on a eu du mal à sa réveiller / qu'on s'est levé du pied gauche / que le réveil fut difficile ..."
    So the question of the relevance of its transation into English is somewhat rhetorical, if I may say so.

"ne jamais faire voir son mauvais reveil" n'existe pas en français!
    je dirais donc " ne jamais montrer qu"on s'est levé du pied gauche"

Yul

Canada, French
    Kelly B,

Suis d'accord avec Walkyrie et quentin 75, "ne jamais faire voir son mauvais réveil" ne fait pas trop français...courant (pour le moins!).
    Yul

< Previous | Next >