May be being+3rd form of verb

shop-englishx

Banned
Urdu
Hello,

I want to know whether the following type of structure is still present in the English language (both AmrE and BrE) or not. Moreover, is it correct to use these type of structures that use combination of "be" and "being" i.e, (be+being)?

e.g,

English may be being taught in the U.S.
The book may be being written.
The child may be being cured in the hospital.

Thanks a lot.

• Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    There is no reason why you cannot use "be" with "being", just as you use other forms of the verb (such as "is" or "was") that way.

I expect that someone will write a book about the election we just had. In fact, that book may be being written as we speak.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I want to know whether the following type of structure is still present in the English language (both AmrE and BrE) or not.
    Why, has it ever been? :eek:
    I could use this structure jokingly to echo a statement already uttered, e.g.
    A. But the book is being written!
    B. The book may be being written, but it is already too late. It will not be published!

Otherwise, I find all the examples bizarre and unnatural.

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Otherwise, I find all the examples bizarre and unnatural.
    I don't think such constructions are very common in writing. When we have time to think, we tend to avoid such rather clumsy forms. However, they are not uncommon, in speech. There are 69 citations for 'be being' after modal and catenative verbs in the BNC and 129 in COCA. There are 1,625 citations in The Corpus of Global Web-Based English (GloWbE).

< Previous | Next >