May I redeem my funereal self in thy mirror of soul sanctorum

< Previous | Next >

panike

French
In a song of Sirenia called "Meridian" there is this sentence :
May I redeem my funereal self in thy mirror of soul sanctorum

What does "thy" mean and can someone explain the whole sentence?

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thy is an archaic form of your (singular).

The line you quoted is part of a song:
    May I redeem my funereal self
    in thy mirror of soul sanctorum
    to frame every night a delight

Source

I've no idea what that means.
    Song lyrics are not necessarily meant to be readily understood - and are sometimes deliberately obscure.

ewie

English English
    Thy is an archaic form of your (singular).

The line you quoted is part of a song:
    May I redeem my funereal self
    in thy mirror of soul sanctorum
    to frame every night a delight
    SourceI've no idea what that means.
    Song lyrics are not necessarily meant to be readily understood - and are sometimes deliberately obscure.
    Nor do I have the faintest idea what all that means ~ sorry. I'd class it in the 'deliberately obscure' group of lyrics. The whole thing gives a very dark and gloomy impression.

By the way: thou is an archaic form of you. It took a different verb form from modern you. The lyricist gets it right with thou art, but wrong with thou stalk ... which should be thou stalkest.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    The lyrics don't make much sense, but my best guess is that the character speaking the line is evil/corrupted/dying and wants to spiritually cleanse him/herself via exposure to someone purer or holier. I think it could be interpreted in a lot of different ways.

Eigenfunction

England - English
    As panjandrum says, song lyrics are not necessarily meant to be understood, but at a guess, it seems to me it could be that the singer has done something bad in the past and so they are asking to be allowed to atone for their sins by reflection and comparison of themselves with some holy soul (God?) whom they are addressing.

My reasoning is:
    redeem - The singer wants to atone/compensate for past wrongs by doing good
    funereal - someone may have died, but more importantly I think the singer feels mournful and sombre.
    mirror - gives an impression of reflection (thought) or comparison. Just as you would see your appearance if you look in a mirror, the singer is going to look upon the holy soul and realise how his/her own faults by comparison.
    sactorum = of holy places. There might be a holy place where this reflection etc takes place.

panike

French
    Thank you all, but I want to ask also if the adjective "funereal" is often used in English to refer to things related to death. Is it still used nowadays?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Thank you all, but I want to ask also if the adjective "funereal" is often used in English to refer to things related to death. Is it still used nowadays?
    It is still used, but almost exclusively in a figurative sense: It's most often used in AE to compare something to a funeral. If people are feeling sad or glum, or if a place has a depressing atmosphere, you might use "funereal" to describe the prevailing mood.

"Funeral" is sometimes used as an adjective to describe something that is literally related to an actual funeral: funeral party, funeral procession, funeral service, etc.

< Previous | Next >