may it come soon, if it be <His> merciful pleasure!

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his adolescence.
His grand aunt and her distant relative Mr. Dick came to London after her going bankrupt, and so he works as the secretary for Doctor Strong in his spare time, who was the head master of the school the protagonist went to.
One day, His best friend Agnes and her father, a local lawyer, Mr. Wickfield visited Doctor Strong.
And the next day, Mr. Wickfield's partner Uriah, who was once the clerk for him, came too.
One night, the narrator finds Doctor Strong, Mr. Wikckfield, and Uriah is together in a room.
Mr. Wickfield and Uriah have had a strong suspicion that Dr. Strong's young attractive wife has a love affair with her cousin Mr. Maldon, and Uriah insinuated it to the narrator a few days ago.

'It only remains for me, to bear the knowledge of the unhappiness I have occasioned, as submissively as I can. It is she who should reproach; not I. To save her from misconstruction, cruel misconstruction, that even my friends have not been able to avoid, becomes my duty. The more retired we live, the better I shall discharge it. And when the time comes - may it come soon, if it be His merciful pleasure! - when my death shall release her from constraint, I shall close my eyes upon her honoured face, with unbounded confidence and love; and leave her, with no sorrow then, to happier and brighter days.'
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I think the underlined sentence is the wishing sentence for Doctor's wife.
So I was wondering why it is "his," not "her."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• goldenband

English - American
    He = God. :) The capitalization is a big clue to that, and standard practice when referring to the Judeo-Christian God.

< Previous | Next >