may not be as disturbed

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
" Viewers may not be as disturbed by small problems in the picture, but problems with the sound often result in calling away attention from the image or from the music on a CD. "

I do not see why above "as" was written in front of disturbed... what does "as " mean in the above sentence?

Thank you for your help in advance.

• Hans in Texas

US English
    Brandon, you are correct in noting an incomplete “as...as” comparison. I think the writer meant “as by problems with the sound...”

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    Brandon, you are correct in noting an incomplete “as...as” comparison. I think the writer meant “as by problems with the sound...”
    Thanks for your comment. but I still can't understand it. Could you kindly be more specific?

Do you mean the writer may have intended to write as followings?
    " Viewers may not be as disturbed as by small problems in the picture, but problems with the sound often result in calling away attention from the image or from the music on a CD. "

brandonkim

Korean-Korea
    Please tell us where you found this sentence.
    I brought it from one of the reading material which were chosen by high school for their mid term exam.
    and I just copied above sentence only from full context because I couldn't understand why "as" exist there in that position.

Hans in Texas

US English
    Why not write “Viewers are more disturbed by problems with the sound than by problems with the picture”? That expresses the idea directly, instead of saying “not as disturbed by video glitches as by audio glitches”. Good writing communicates clearly, and the example is not good writing.

lentulax

UK English
    I just copied above sentence only from full context because I couldn't understand why "as" exist there in that position
    There's more than one possible explanation (though they all involve an 'as...as' comparison in which one term of the comparison is understood); perhaps some context ((the sentence(s) preceding the one quoted) would help.

< Previous | Next >